Who all shows their dogs?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by tx_dane_mom, Feb 26, 2008.

1. tx_dane_mom

tx_dane_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    I know I have seen several people on here who show their dogs & I would like to see if there are any I haven't met. Once we get moved, we want to get into our 2nd breed, and I'd really like some input on good choices. I grew up w/scotties, and we have 3 (almost 4) danes, a aussieXlab and a collieX, so I am used to all those breeds.
    We have 2 pet danes, 1 black show girl, and a fawn show girl who is 7 wks that we will get at 9 wks. I plan my 1st litter for Aug.
    Kristi

2. chickenshow

chickenshow Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    i show dogs as well as run my own kennel for my sae

3. snugglepup

snugglepup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Creedmoor, NC
    I show my tervs. Conformation, obedience, rally, tracking... working on herding and agility.

4. tx_dane_mom

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    what's sae?
    i've met a lady locally w/a terv. they seem even more 'reclusive' than gsd...what's your opinion on that?
    i'm really interested in a dog that's more 'what can I do for you'; not a nightmare to groom' and is excllent w/children and even protective if nessecary.

5. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    I have Irish Setters, we show conformation and we run hunt tests.

6. tx_dane_mom

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    My husband's aunt had an Irish Setter. I was considering the Gordons b/c we think they are beautiful. Do you know much about them/a breeder?
    Kristi

7. hollyclyff

hollyclyff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    NC
    My dogs are all retired show dogs, but I'm not showing right now. I'm still a national and local breed club member and I'm still fairly active with the local club and go to shows, etc. I decided I didn't much like breeding. Loved the puppies and even the work of taking care of them, but hated the stress of worrying about everyone being healthy and finding proper homes. I literally had nightmares about placing puppies. When it comes time for a new dog, I would probably agree to show it if the breeder wants me to.

I have Dachshunds. They are most definitely not "what can I do for you" dogs!

8. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    Quote:My best friend has a Gordon Setter, he's very sweet and good natured. He's a big boned Gordon and has it in his head that he is a lap dog. I have no complaints about the breed at all other then I have noticed some breeders are still allowing the smaller field dogs to breed with the big conformation setters. I do know a very reputable breeder, he is the president of the Cascade Gordon Setter club and I'll pass his name and info on to you if you want it. [​IMG]

9. Agilityscots

Agilityscots Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio
    I show my Scotties in breed, obedience, rally and occasionally earthdog. I used to do agility--did it for 7 or 8 years--but don't have time any more, so I concentrate mostly on breed and obedience. My oldest two dogs are finished and have multiple obedience/agility/rally titles, and the baby (Peach) has two points and I'm getting her ready for rally.

Tx dane mom, I have a friend here in central Ohio who shows Gordons in breed and agility--she has the only CH/MACH Gordon in the breed--and I bet I could get some good breeder info for you if you'd like.

Amy

10. Agilityscots

Agilityscots Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio
    Quote:Snugglepup, I've dabbled in tracking before on my own but would really like to give it a try this spring or possibly this fall. How often do you train? How many weeks of training does it take before the dog is ready to be certified? I have 3 1/2 acres so I have plenty of room to get started, but I never seem to follow through with it. I get up to about 300 yard tracks, get ready to do corners and then just quit!

Amy

Last edited: Feb 28, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by