who am I...identity crisis

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Lorettawyandotte, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Lorettawyandotte

Lorettawyandotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    white springs, fl
    supposedly this one right of center looking back at us is a light brahma...I did not think they had so much black in their feathering...any idea on sex?[​IMG]

ah...looking at the photo again I see there are two of the little buggers in the pic...the straight on one is a little longer in body than the side view chick

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  2. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    I'd say they're PQ light brahmas.

3. Lorettawyandotte

Jun 12, 2008
    white springs, fl
    okay...I am a dumb butt...what is PQ? And thanks for replying...lol

4. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    PQ is pet quality. I agree, they look like they have dark brahma in them. Basically they are supposed to look like the pic in the MM catalog.

5. Lorettawyandotte

Jun 12, 2008
    white springs, fl
    Ah ha...thank you...I did get them from MM and they did list them on the invoice as light brahmas, but they don't look right with all of the black...they are very pretty but, I think there is a mix there too...just wanted to bounce that off the wall and see if I was thinking right...I have total senior moments and have to check up on myself...lol

6. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

I agree...looks like PQ brahma. Hard to tell it's sex...but I'd lean towards it being a roo....

7. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Appears to be a cockerel. He's still in juvenile plumage-his colour may improve with the next molt-or not. Definately a Light Brahma though.

8. Lorettawyandotte

Jun 12, 2008
    white springs, fl
    oh that is okay...named "him" Arnold the day he came in the mail and I was hoping I would not have to change that to Arlene

[​IMG]

9. chicksinthemachine

chicksinthemachine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Henley,MO
    Not to change the subject but it looks like you are feeding them tomatoes and from what I've read you shouldn't feed them tomatoes(something about being a nightshade plant). I don't know for sure, newbie also.

10. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    Tomatoes are perfectly fine otherwise, I wouldn't have any birds left. I grow cherry tomatoes every year for the birds and they get pounds and pounds of them. Do you mean potatoes?
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by