1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Who Am I?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Shahann, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Shahann

Shahann Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2014
    I bought this as a chick that hatched in early August, 2016. A 16-year old was selling chicks on Craigslist that were just a few days old. He said they were Orpingtons or Speckled Sussex chicks. He was on vacation when I picked up my order. His grandmother sold me 25 chicks for $25. (It was well worth the risk.) But what kind of chicken is this?

[​IMG]

I am thinking it is a rooster. It hasn't crowed yet, but its neck feathers are starting to look like my other roosters (long and thin feathers.) It's a pretty bird! I'll probably keep it. If it's a rooster I'll give it his own group of hens. It also tends to make sure all the others are inside before it goes into the coop at night (just like my other roosters.) Any comment/suggestions are welcome! Thanks.

2. Looks like a Handosme Lavender Orpington Cockerel!

3. Shahann

Shahann Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2014
    Thanks! You can't tell in this photo very good, but it has feathered legs too. There's a really good chance it's a barnyard mix of something too.

4. Oh!i didn't see the legs till now!Its a barnyard mix rooster I'd guess then!

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'd also say barnyard mix. Hey, not bad for a buck, right?

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Still a deal for $ 1. especially since he doesn't seem to be aggressive.

7. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Crossbred. Most likely a Cochin bantam crossed with a large clean legged breed. Cockerel for sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by