Who are the best breeders?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Farmer Kyle, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Farmer Kyle

Farmer Kyle New Egg

Aug 18, 2012
    I was told to start with the best birds I could find; so I am asking all of you, who are the best breeders for specific breeds?

Breeds I want: Delaware, Black Java, Dominique, Barnevelder, and Australorp.

I am looking for 1 day to 8 week chicks.

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

If you go to a major poultry show, such as Crossroads, Ohio National, Lucasville, etc, you'll see the breeders' work in display. In fall, many also bring stock to sell, so as to not having to carry them through the winter. That's one way.

Another way is to hang out on the threads here dedicated to Large Fowl or the specific breed in question. With a keen eye and observant eye, you'll soon discover who is who is this particular breed's realm of breeding expertise.

Most breed's also have a national club and regional clubs. These clubs also are means by which to make contacts with the best breeders.

Most breeders won't begin hatching until late January or February. You've some time to get on their lists.

Hope this helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by