Who are we?? (pics included)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Eggs-Actly, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Eggs-Actly

Eggs-Actly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Daytona - Florida
    She/He looks like an Ameraucana, based solely on pics I have seen. But I have never been very good at figuring out the "ladies" [​IMG]
    The farm we bought her/him from had no clue. So I thought I would ask the eggs-perts. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's another pic; same chick

[​IMG]

And another (last one):
    [​IMG]

And here's 3 more pics of another I can't figure out. He/She's beautiful and looks "blue" with feathers starting to come in on her/his legs and feet. Any ideas?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can really see her/his "blue" in this pic below:

[​IMG]

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    The first one does look like it could be an easter egger. I'm not recognizing it as anything else specific, at least...

The second one looks like it could be a cochin, or cochin cross. The feathering on the legs and feet doesn't look as heavy as my little hatchery bantam cochins did at that age.

3. conroy

conroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    I can't help with breeds but they sure are cute!!

4. Eggs-Actly

Eggs-Actly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Daytona - Florida
    Jossane - I was hoping she/he was an Ameraucana but after learning a bit more about the breed she/he is missing several tell-tale signs:

no green legs - they are actually yellow
    no eyeliner - it's actually white around the eyes in the chick I have
    while most Ameraucanas have black around their eyes

guess we'll just have to wait to the end of the movie to figure out what she/he is. [​IMG]

5. shaylee

shaylee Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2008
    Hamilton, Il
    Some of my araucanas have lighter green legs when they are little. Yours looks like one I have now. The second one looks like a araucana mix (maybe with cochin), legs look really green.

Just a guess, I am not an expert, but I have several breeds of chickens and raised nearly all from chicks. They r cute.

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Ameraucanas are not supposed to have green legs. The green leggers are the EE. Hatcheries call them ameraucanas, but they are not. I'm not sure if 'most' ameraucanas have eyeliner, mine is black, so no eyeliner there. You should do a search here on BYC about ameraucanas v. EE, not on the general web. [​IMG]

7. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Araucanas are supposed to be rumpless and/or tufted, that chick is neither [​IMG] The puffs on this chicks face are considered muffs, not tufts.

8. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    EE! [​IMG]
    ... and the cuteness continues ...

9. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    the second one actually looks like a silkie X , 5 toes and dark skin....

first pic looks like EE mix...they can be any color....

10. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:I hadn't even noticed the 5 toes on that one! I'll have to learn to look more closely at the pics [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by