Who are we?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by henmommy, Nov 15, 2009.

1. henmommy

henmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Both were sold to me as cuckoo marans, what you think? One is laying, but not sure which one, dark brown egg but not mahogany.

[​IMG]

2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    The darker one looks to be an Australorp x Barred Plymouth Rock. The Barred one is a Barred Plymouth Rock. Your egg is probably coming from the darker female.

3. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    you said dark brown eggs then the front one has to have marans in it and the back one is a barred rock

4. henmommy

Jul 17, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Bummer!

5. henmommy

Jul 17, 2008
    Upstate NY
    [​IMG]

hard to tell, but these are my eggs. Small is the new one I have been getting. What color does an austroplorp (sp) lay? I have not been able to catch either one in the nesting boxes.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That's a hatchery quality BR in the back. I have one of those who lays an egg that dark most of the time. Can't say positively what the front one is.

7. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Quote:I agree.

8. henmommy

Jul 17, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Quote:What do you mean by hatchery quality? All my hens are from Privett's Hatchery. I have other BR's in my flock, but this one is slightly bigger. My older BR's are not very nice to these two ladies.

9. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    i have a different dark brown color in my mind but thats the color of my barred rocks eggs so ide say australorp/barred rock as well very pretty

10. henmommy

Jul 17, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I am still somewhat new to this. Do hatcheries stand bebind what they send you, or is it "buyer beware?" I really did not want more hens, was only trying to get egg color variety. I'll keep them, but if I do it again how do I know for sure what I am getting?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by