1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

who are you?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Godsgrl, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    I am trying to integrate my chick Peepers in with the bigger chickens. She can't stay at night, it gets too cold, but I thought maybe during the day, it would be fun for her to "be a chicken."

Peeps is still in a cage around the bigger guys, as she's still pretty little. Six weeks old at most. I've noticed the other chickens will pick up food and act like they are eating around her. What exactly does this behavior mean? They aren't offering it to Peepers, and I'm not sure they are actually eating, but they are going through the motions.

I've noticed the same behavior when roos are fence fighting/posturing. Is it a threat to my chick, or just...I don't know. thanks!!

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

6 weeks old is still too young to integrate yet. Is the peeper visible to the others? It sounds like it, and it sounds like they are getting used to her, but I would wait one more week, and then let her out there with supervisor for another week, and then without supervision, but in her own space at night for another week or two. About 8-9 weeks she should be ok, if you have chickens like I do.

We recently had a very successful integration with 6 chicks. No pecking to the point of bleeding, no fights. Of course the chicks are at the bottom on the pecking order and rarely get their share of treats, but they are living together quite happily.

3. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Thank you DebiRaymond. Peepers lives in my kitchen at the moment, in a big dog crate. She seems kinda bored, and she is an only child. I thought she might enjoy being around some other chickens.

I put her in the RIR run in a wire cage so they could see her, but not peck her. After a brief introduction, (with her in the cage the whole time), we came home because it was getting dark.

So following your advice; keep introducing Peepers, but keep her in the cage for at least a week. Then I can try letting her out if I am in there with her.

Thank you so much for your advice, and I'm glad you were able to introduce your babies successfully.
    Cheri

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by