1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Who ate the almost ready to hatch egg?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by fmernyer, Jun 10, 2016.

1. fmernyer

fmernyer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2012
    CT
    Was it the broody hen? Was it the rooster? Or was it the two other full grown hens in the coop?

And why?

Right now I separated the rooster because that was the easiest to do and (to me) the most likely culprit. But I will be away this weekend with someone else watching them. And momma hen's beak was kind of sticky. I can't get a gauge on the other hens' or rooster's beak to see if they are sticky.

There was NO trace of the not quite hatchling. Just the shell.

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

are you sure it was one of the chickens?

3. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    I think the rooster would be the least likely culprit. Most likely is the broody hen. It is relatively common for an egg to crack somehow and the hen will finish it off because it won't hatch any more.

4. fmernyer

Apr 9, 2012
    CT
    I know it was one of the chickens and not another predator because it happened in the coop and the coop is completely predator proof.

And yes, proof that it wasn't the rooster after all - another egg went missing over the weekend. Not a trace of it left. Perhaps one cracked and she ate it because it wasn't viable - but another one? The other hens are still laying in the nest and she puts them into her nest. The new eggs that go in there aren't being broken so it seems unlikely that the 'hatchable' eggs are cracked and the new eggs are not getting cracked.

Im thinking if want that last egg to be safe I'm gonna have to hatch it myself. So sad - besides the loss of the other chicks - I was looking forward to seeing 'nature in action'. Eaten chicks was not what I meant. *sigh*

5. TheKindaFarmGal

May 4, 2016
    Never let other hens lay eggs in a broody's nest and leave them. You will have a staggered hatch and lose a lot of chicks. Remove fresh eggs every day.

Now, I think it would be smart to remove the remaining egg and put it in the incubator. Leave a fresh egg with the broody so she doesn't get off the nest. Then, when the chick hatches, you can replace the egg at night with the chick. If there is only one egg left out of the original number, you might want to buy another day old chick to give to her as well.

6. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Or a ceramic egg is even better so you don't half develop a new one.

7. TheKindaFarmGal

May 4, 2016
    Chicks don't begin to develop until being at consistent 100 degree temperatures for three days, and the chicks are supposed to hatch soon. Some hens don't fall for the ceramic egg. Fmernyer should replace the fresh egg each day so it doesn't develop, though. Should've clarified that in my post. [​IMG]

8. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    xs 2

Actually an egg can and will show sporadic subnormal development if left in temps over 80F. At day 2-3 I can quite visibly see development in my eggs- yeah, it's just the veinin/heart beat, but I don't believe in starting a life you aren't going to finish either. 24 hours after incubating the blastoderm is dividing and reproducing cells and at 48 hors the blood island is forming. By day 3 you should see a heartbeat and prominent veining around the surface of the yolk. Yes, a fresh egg every day would work. I agree with the fake eggs though. Heck mine will sit on a golf ball if they are broody.

1 person likes this.
  9. fmernyer

Apr 9, 2012
    CT
    I've taken the last developing egg out from under Momma and put it in the incubator we just bought. Yesterday I noticed Momma walking around the yard because she had no eggs on the nest. Today she's back in there no doubt sitting on everyone's eggs again.

I *had* been removing everyone's eggs daily from her nest for just that reason. I had marked the 'original' eggs so I could tell the difference.

Speaking of 'fake eggs' and keeping Momma on the nest - I keep plastic Easter eggs in the nest to discourage egg eating. Momma hen had gathered up all the Easter eggs and everyone else's eggs and was sitting on quite a pile before I took them away :)

Putting the newly hatched chick back under her? Think it would work? I'd be afraid Momma would go all cannibal on the baby just like she had with the eggs. Especially since the eggs had a nearly developed chick in there.

Sure wish I knew why she was doing it....should I never let her go broody again?

Thank you so much for all your help!!

~Dawn

10. TheKindaFarmGal

May 4, 2016
    Wow, that is very interesting. Thank you so much for correcting me! Now I know more! I agree about starting the life - that is why I said to replace the egg daily when he gathers them. Broody hens are funny. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by