Who builds your coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by songbird, Apr 6, 2009.

1. songbird

songbird Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2009
    New England
    Hi all,
    I'm starting to panic because our chickies will arrive soon, and I don't even have a plan for the coop. My husband and I are not builders, nor do we know any. I have not been able to find design plans for a hen house that will match our house to some extent. If I draw my own ideas, I have no clue how to actually build it. I hardly even know what "framing" is! What do most people do? Do I have to hire a builder or someone to draw up plans? ($$$$$yikes!) I've looked a kids' play houses, I've driven around looking for construction sites that might have a small building they might be planning to wreck....no luck. Please help! I'm afraid I should cancel my order!

2. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    Building your own is always the cheapest method. The 8x10 coop and run I'm doing should go to $600 or so before I'm done.

The other option you already said, which are playhouses and such. Why no luck there?

If you check the yellow pages you can find people who sell sheds, however expect to pay around $1500 for one sized in the 8x10 range.

The big question is........ How many birds?

3. EngieKisses

EngieKisses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2008
    Collinsville, Oklahoma
    My husband and I are the builders for our coops.

4. bonebrake

bonebrake Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    If you're not too worried about looks you can build one pretty easily. I'm no builder an I just finished mine-with a little help. Also, there are great examples on BYC that you can use or buy plans. I built mine from recycled materials as well as new for less than $200.

You can do it !

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
  6. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    We built the coop ourselves with the assistance of a shed design book like those at Home Depot. Neither of us are builders either.

7. flopshot

flopshot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    with the building industry the way it is right now you should have no problem finding someone. hire a person that works on a framing crew or remodler not the builder or owner. you don't need "plans" as in blueprints. just a few detail sketched and an idea of size will be enough for an experianced nail banger. decide on the details such as roof material, windows,doors, siding, flooring, how it will be set (on concrete, posts, blocks, etc.) will it need electricity, water, run area.... get all that out of the way and try a call to the high school to see if they have a trades course with student that could do the job. if all else fails go to a shed dealer and ask if they could make some minor modifications to an existing building. best advise i could give you is to keep it simple.
    i really need to start taking my own advise. [​IMG]

8. snixter3

snixter3 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2009
    look on Craigslist for a coop. I was looking for a friend yesterday found a really nice one for 500.00. It is Indiana.

9. Chickenfortress

Chickenfortress Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    If you lived near me I'd work something out with you. Warning, I overbuild. I like things strong. Craigslist is a good place to look for both sheds/coops and help. Check in the barter area and you will find someone who will build for cash or goodies.

10. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    IF you do not want to build it or do not have the skills, ask at the feed store, lumberyard or look in the phonebook under 'handymen', contractor, builders. Our big name lumber yard has lists of builders, electricians, plumbers etc.. With the slow economy, you might find a great builder and a good price... Remember you don't have to build one, there are companies that build and ship to you, purchased sheds, playhouses, hutches from lumberyards...Look 'outside' the box.. Pet Smart has hutches that can be modified to work for 2-3 chickens....

Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by