Who can show me a non-Silkied Showgirl cross w/ feathered legs?

Discussion in 'Online Poultry Show' started by ChooksChick, Nov 7, 2009.

1. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    A friend has me hatch whatever her birds lay...

Gertrude is her GIANT Green/Black Turken x Silkie ROO (NOT a Showgirl, as he hasn't got the Silkie feathering, nor the crest), and one of my friend's eggs (no telling which one, because all different types hatched overnight) produced a chipmunk-colored naked-neck with two side-bowties and puffy cheeks but no beard...and feathered legs and feet. [​IMG] Clearly Gertrude is the daddy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Can anyone show me what a non-Silkied Showgirl-cross with feathered legs and feet looks like, and has anyone grown out a chick that looks like this? [​IMG]

My daughter jumped on it as her first love, and I fear she will be not as enamored a it grows into a big bird with lots of weird fleshiness. I've been promising she could have her own bird for years and she never found one she liked enough- not one that wasn't already part of our flock, clever Dolly!

Its mother could have been:

Buttercup
    banty EE
    banty Japanese
    GL Sebright
    BR

The feathered legs are not manifested in the Gertrude (proud Papa) but somehow popped out despite a lack of feathered leg Mamas...don't ask me! [​IMG]

I'm at a loss as to whether this will be the oddest bird ever or what!?!?! Help?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  2. ChooksChick

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Can no one show me a Showgirl cross without the Silkied feathers?

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

[​IMG]

Here is Sassy......... She is a straight feathered Showgirl......... [​IMG]

4. floridamama

floridamama Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2009
    Polk City
    I am just getting into the breed of what is being called a true showgirl. And your little one is not going to be called a typical showgirl bec. of the legs not being feathered up. But as for the coloring its only a guess, due to the skunk strip on head and back with the eye liner it could be a buttercup, or ee either one is possible. I just got a fancy turken. (frizzle x turken) and it looks dead up like a turken but for the feathers are like the frizzle including feathers on legs. I will try to post pictures.

5. ChooksChick

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:I am sooooooo well aware this will not be a showgirl! Here is Gertrude, the father:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I fear that this will be even odder looking, due to the 1/4 Silkie, 1/4 Turken, and 1/2 God-alone-knows!

I'm thinking that the legs will feather out better than shows- after all, the chick is only a day old.

I am just looking for examples to show my kid so she can make an informed decision- she guilts-up worse that you could imagine, and if she found she didn't appreciate the nature of the unique Naked Neck qualities, she'd beat herself up...

Chickenzoo, that bird is actually not bad looking! I kinda like it- and that's saying a lot!

Edited because I am a grammar nazi!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  6. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Chickenzoo... That has to be one of the most adorable naked necks-type chickens i have EVER seen. she reminds me of those guard with the big tall black fuzzy hats...i forgot what theyre called, lol.

just adorable. [​IMG]

7. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

[​IMG]

Here is a little better pic of her.........she was younger and her topknot is fuller now

[​IMG]

She looked better in her Halloween costume... [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  8. floridamama

floridamama Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2009
    Polk City
    Sorry I if I said something to upset you earlier. The feathers on the legs of the chick is all that will be there. They might rub out as it gets older due to the normal every day scratching a chicken does. I have a Picture of a True Turken Hen I will try to post on here. I will Try and get a good picture of my friend's grown bird with the feathers like that on its legs. It is grown and it has a small line of feathers on one leg and none one the other. Weird. But it was born like that. Chickens crazy little things.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the 1st is of young turkens.
    the 2nd one is of our rooster. Your Chick might look a lot like the dad when all said and done? sorry again.

9. ChooksChick

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I'm not upset- I was laughing! It's striking me as very funny, honestly!

This is bound to be one of the oddest birds in existence, I think.

It has extra toes, too with poor spacing, so it's even weirder!

Thanks for the images, guys!

10. ChooksChick

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    And, Chickenzoo- that costume just makes the bird! I Love it!! It should be in the calendar!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by