who can tell me about bantam ducks?

jujubean99

Songster
9 Years
Apr 5, 2010
I have an assortment of bantam ducks that are about 3 weeks old. I am looking for any other people who have bantam ducks and if you could tell me anything about their disposition, how often they lay eggs, hatching and mothering abilities etc. I know these ducks are not very common, so any info. would be nice!
I have:
3 miniature silver appleyards
4 silkies (one black, one snowy, two white)
2 australian spotteds
Thanks!!!

Last edited:
Those are some rare ducks, wish I could help. I have had Calls, but none of those. Silkys are so pretty. My friend Jennifer Cole-Hiatt had or had some of those breeds, I know she had Silkys. PM me for her contact info.
wink.png

Did you get the rare bantom sampler pack from Holderreads?! We have calls, austrualian spotted and a silky duck. The silky duck is new this year. We had 2 sent, but one died. They certainly seem more delicate. The spotteds are hardy little birds full of piss and vinegar! Thats my favorite part of bantoms! They are sassy little guys that will back off any large duck and run the whole show! I don't much about their breeding capabilities. Calls and spotteds will go broody and be capapble to raising their own young. I have read that the silkies have a hard time incubating their birds because of their feather and not being able to keep the humidity up. Not sure if thats true, just what I read once. Congrats and post pics!

yes, I ordered the bantam assortment. One of them died at 1 week old (it was absolutely devastating
sad.png
) so we have 9. In theory, they do not send snowy silkies in the assortments, but I think they slipped one in, or maybe my duck identifying skills are very very poor. Pics will be coming soon if I can get my camera working!!!

Exciting...yay!
We have two mini appleyards and a silky, but this is our first year with them so I don't have any btdt to offer.
The mini appleyards are supposed to be flyers, I know that.
We only have one silky but it hasn't seemed fragile to me. Its got spunk!
I wish we'd given it more hand-feeding and personal attention as it was getting older and feathering out. Sure seems like a wild pack duck now.
Beautiful though! And soft, when we catch it.
tongue.png

Dana

I have 2 bantam Call Ducks. They are Snowies and are really cute. I like the bantam ducks because they are of course cute. Lol. They also don't need as much space as other larger sized ducks. They are friendly and have great personalities. Mine laid eggs this year. About a couple a week during the winter and fall. One every day early spring, and still lay an egg every other day now. Their eggs are so small and cute.

Back
Top Bottom