Who covers home insurance in Florida ?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by NancyP, Aug 7, 2009.

1. NancyP

NancyP Songster

Mar 28, 2009
    Bonifay,Florida
    Could anyone help me? We are buying a house in Florida and are looking for good rates. I have a quote from ASI but they are a bit pricey.
    Thanks, Nancy

2. Ferngully

Ferngully Songster

Nov 6, 2008
    N.E. Florida
    I would suggest calling the local agents close to the home you are buying. They often have more than one carrier that they can write from and would be familiar with the area. Be sure to check with the mom and pop type insurance agents, not just the big name companies.

Many homeowner's insurance companies no longer write policies for homes in Florida or have pullled out of Florida leaving residents scrambling to find insurance for their homes that is required by mortgage companies.

Also, there are a few who do write policies but have clauses that they will not write one for your home if you have any agricultural/farm/livestock (aka chickens, goats, ducks, ponies, horses, cows). This could be a problem if you ever had to make a claim in the future and the assessor for the company sees such animals. Instant loss of policy and no claim money as you "read their clauses" in the contract.

We have personally run into this situation. One carrier for a farming area that will write, but not if you have animals. [​IMG]
    Farm bureau could be an option, but does not fit our needs as we have 2 acres and chickens for personal use, not commercial.

After you get your quotes, see what the mortgage company would charge for them to have the insurance on the home (I know it does not cover personal property) however, then see what additional costs would be for you to get a separate personal property policy and add the 2 premiums together and see if it will come out cheaper in the long run. For some people it does work out to be a savings.

If you are buying into a flood zone, the mortgage company may also require you to get flood insurance on the home.

3. smileybritches

smileybritches Songster

we use Geico for our home and cars. not sure if they write in florida. everything was done online.

4. boaz

boaz Songster

May 26, 2009
    Woodville, MS
    If you think you can qualify for running the farm as a business, please look at that situation as an option. Companies that cover farms as a business treat your rates a lot differently than companies that classify you as having too many pets. It is not an easy search, but you will not likely find rates in the Allstate, Liberty Mutual group that are reasonable.

5. home insurance in Fla is really high due to the hurricane season. Probably best thing to do is call the phone co for the area your moving to and ask for a phone directery and start calling all the agents around. Most of them will have to go out to look at the property before they will give you a rate.good luck marrie

6. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Songster

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    You didn't say where in Florida dyou were moving or if it was a mobile home or not. That makes all the difference here. South Floirda's rates are different from North Fl orida's. There is also subposed to be a state run insurance company but Idon't know the name It might be under State of FLorida online. When we moved we ordered the local phonebook and looked up needed infor that way.

7. NancyP

NancyP Songster

Mar 28, 2009
    Bonifay,Florida
    I will see if I can get a phone book. We are buying in Bonifay. So far I have been turned down because it was to many acres, the house didn't have a concrete foundation or the numbers have been out of order. I have been quoted $4500 per year. That is insane. It is a traditional built home on 20 acres what is the big deal?
    Nancy

8. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Florida....let me see if I can remember most of them

Geico
    State Farm
    Farm Bureau
    Allstate
    Nationwide
    Sublimity
    USAA
    Travelers
    Hartford Ins

It is best to see who is udnerwriting in the specific are you are looking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: