Who covers their webcam ?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by TammyTX, Sep 17, 2009.

1. TammyTX

TammyTX Overrun With Chickens

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    I've been using my laptop the last week and I cover my webcam with tape because I don't want anyone looking at me. When you have a built-in webcam still shots are being taken periodically and stored of the person using the computer.

Yesterday the laptop did a funny blip and I swear for a second it looked like a photo of something....not sure what.

2. Big C

Big C J & C Farms

Dec 15, 2008
    Vernon Texas
    This should only happen when you have an open program, such as messenger (opened and signed in), then others who are signed in as contacts can see you when they/you have the same preferences enabled...

3. PeepsInc

PeepsInc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    NY Tri State region
    I dont think I'd like that option.I'd paint the lens black.

4. TammyTX

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    ...the system takes a photo and stores it in the computer. We've used that at work to prove someone was using a stolen laptop.

5. havi

havi [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Call me paranoid, but when I had a webcam I would always cover it with a tshirt or towel when I wasnt using it. I have this weird thing about people being able to hack into something and snooping around. Such as someone hacking my webcam and looking at whats going on when Im not using it. Guess Ive watched to many weird movies like that.

6. TammyTX

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    There was just a news report yesterday of people with video baby monitors. It seems that people with video back-up monitors in their vehicles can drive around and look in your house through the baby monitor. It was really scary stuff! My guess is that there is a common "channel" or something similar to a cordless phone...maybe? Not sure how it worked.

7. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:On TV someone used a baby moniter to hear what was being said on a cordless phone. It was TV, but I assume it can be done. The radio electronics that make those items work is actually pretty simple.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by