Who cuts vegetables against their thumb?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by KenK, Jun 15, 2011.

1. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    I have to remind myself sometimes that it really is the fastest and best way for some things.

2. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

I do. Two years ago I cut the tip of my ring finger off cutting corn on the cob so I switched lol.

3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Yep, certain veggies.

4. caspernc

caspernc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Z town NC
    fung shway(SP) You are always supposed to cut towards your body and you will not get hurt. [​IMG] Been around for a LONG time, and I do this and I never get cut unless I don't do it! [​IMG]

5. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Quote:I always heard to cut away from your body. So you don't cut your stomach or?

6. Kudzu

Kudzu Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    My wife

7. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    I always use a cutting board...My son sharpens my knives on a belt grinder and keeps them scalpel sharp. If I tried that I wouldn't have any flesh left on my thumb.

He doesn't sharpen my steak knives so in a pinch I could use one for that.

8. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

always with the cutting bored.. Never towards me... But I am sure all my knives are "'Right Handed Knives" Since I"m left handed, I try to get hubbie to do most cutting up [​IMG]

9. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Me...always have and never use a vegetable peeler either. Sometimes I cut myself merely because I have cut a groove deeper and deeper into my thumb and finally hit a soft spot past my callous.

10. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    I keep all my kitchen knives sharp enough to shave and the only cuts I've ever had, more than a minor nick here and there, were with a vegetable peeler and a grater. In both cases I took off most of a thumb nail and a lot of the goody underneath. Makes me queasy thinking about it now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by