Who dat baby daddy?

duckielub

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 20, 2011
Kentwood
lau.gif
Sorry bout the subject.... Couldn't help myself!

I had a few Khaki babies hatch a week ago (my first). I have since done what everyone told me to and have kept the drakes separate, as well as the other hen who is not the momma just to keep them safe.

Now, I have a momma hen who has decided she cares nothing about the babies or the eggs that are left anymore. In fact, three more were in the middle of a hatch this morning, and she wouldn't come back to the pen like normal. I guess she's decided she didn't want a big family after all. I gave her about an hour, and when the 3 that had holes stopped cheeping or moving, I took them all out and put them in my incubator (eggs had gotten quite cool - she didn't even cover them like normal). They seem to be getting a little more lively now, have resumed chipping away at the shells.

I was wondering, how long before you can introduce the babies to the rest of the ducks? Yesterday, one of the chicks got out of the pen right under momma before I could close the door and both drakes and the non-broody hen attacked it. It was horrible! They flipped it over, were pecking at it. Plus, these three constantly walk around the pin, looking in and pecking at the chicken wire. It irritates me.....
barnie.gif
why would they want to do those little things harm?

My husband keeps telling me, "cuz it's not that baby daddy", hence the subject.

And, as an aside, has anyone else had their broody lose interest in her eggs or chicks like that ?

Last edited:
yep the farther thay get from tha wild the more it is likely to happen. do you know if your adults were hatxhed under a duck or in an incubator?

I bought them from an Ace Hardware on impulse....so I'm pretty sure they were incubated. Are you saying it's because they're domesticated that they will attack the young? Does everyone that owns ducks deal with that? What a headache! I sort of figured once I got a broody hen, everything would happen on it's own and all I would have to do is feed, shelter, and love them. Maybe I should have just had another baby.....
idunno.gif

You can put them in with the adults when they are fully grown - about 9 or 10 weeks old.

Even the real Daddy probably wouldn't be too keen on the kiddies. Drakes these days just wanna live a bachelor lifestyle. You did the right thing to keep them all separate. Hope the one that got pecked is fine.

Back
Top Bottom