Who do I call?

RoyJonesBiv

In the Brooder
Oct 26, 2020
Can anyone tell me what city official I need to call to inquire about backyard chickens? I live in the country so it’s not a problem for me but my brother wants to get chickens and I guess the mayor said he can’t have them but he doesn’t live in city limits. It’s like the 2 mile radius of the city and it just doesn’t sound right to me.

go to your city and county code. keyword search for chicken, poultry, fowl, livestock. Know your zoning - which you can usually obtain from the county tax assessor, online.

Never trust anything someone tells you. Not that they mean wrong, but because if its not in writing, its not reliable. and sometimes, not even then.

and if you aren't in the city (be certain, again, county tax assessor's site is good for that), so much the better - no worries about conflict of codes (until/unless the city annex's the property).

go to your city and county code. keyword search for chicken, poultry, fowl, livestock. Know your zoning - which you can usually obtain from the county tax assessor, online.

Never trust anything someone tells you. Not that they mean wrong, but because if its not in writing, its not reliable. and sometimes, not even then.
x2. Check county ordinances, city (if applicable... sounds iffy if he's actually in city boundaries, but only he knows the answer), and then HOA/neighborhood assoc. if there is one.

Back
Top Bottom