Who do I order chicks from?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by countrychicken, May 26, 2008.

1. countrychicken

countrychicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2008
    I need to order some more chicks and I have ordered from Ideal in the past and had no problems, but I was wanting to get them asap! I have noticed a lot seem to be sold out for awhile. I only want to order around 25 and I want a mix of around 7 different breeds, so only a few of each kind. I know that limits where I can order. Hopefully someone has a suggestion!
    Thanks![​IMG]

2. lovemychicks9

lovemychicks9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    Yes we all want our fuzzy butts ASAP but unfortunately I think all hatcheries are backed up for orders for at least 1 month or more. How many did you plan on ordering and what type? If you are going to order upwards of 20 or more you may try Mt. Healthy Hatcheries, I talked to them 12 days ago and they had some now but I did not need alot and she would not ship less then 20 to me. Try every hatchery that your search engine will bring up but try to order as close to your home for the shipping of chicks and least amount of ship time. Trudy [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

My name is Trudy --- and I am a cchick-a-holic. I love fuzzy butts!

3. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

Try welp I'm waiting about half a month

4. countrychicken

countrychicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2008
    Quote:I would like some Australorps, Orpingtons, EE's, Cochins, Barred rock, and Japanese Bantams which I might find at a feed store. I am wanting around 20-25 total chicks. One hatchery I brought up was basically a middle man who got the chicks from hatcheries then shipped them to me, didn't really know how to feel about that.

5. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    I had a wonderful experience with Meyer Hatchery. (This, after a hard time with Cackle. Sigh - for another post...) Anyway, after delays and frustration, I called Meyer. Spoke with a courteous person. Described my "need" for immediate chicks. I placed an order on May 5 or 6 and received 30 chicks on the 14th. I ordered the Rainbow Pullet pack. My order included 7 Polish, 2 silver laced Wyandottes, 2 gold laced, 1 auracana, 2 dominiques, 2 Austrolorps, 2 cochins, 1 salmon faverolle, 2 Hamburgs and others. Also, I got some Silkies that were not part of the Pullet Pack.
    The experience has been very positive.

6. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    Quote:I just got chicks from welp this week and they are great. They are huge, big fat chicks and very healthy. I liked my chicks from meyer last year but really like they ones I got from welp, had great experience and plan on buying more from them.

7. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

Ive ordered from welp atleas 7 times the last 2 years.

8. mrbunker

mrbunker Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2008
    Southwest WA
    scary experience with cackle! okay with mcmurray.

9. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    What was so scary with Cackle?

10. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Try Meyer...I ordered from them for a july hatch and they have some available for shipping now and in the up coming weeks. Very very nice ladies there also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by