Who do you get mortality insurance from on your horse?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Chicken Fruit, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    I have a foal due next month and am putting mortality and major medical on it- I have to insure it 24 hours-30 days, so its the most expensive time span. Everyone so far has 7% of the purchase price as the premium. Thats like almost 600... i was hoping for something less... lol.

Who do you use?

2. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    I have performance QHs and I have never put insurance on them. I have been lucky to have never encountered major problems. I have heard bad things about horse insurance like too high and when you need the coverage it isn't all there and things like that. Now, how true those are I am not 100% sure on but just what I have heard from the complaintants..not the people who were happy with insuring a horse...

My mare is worth 9,000 right now. Our other horse is 800.00. Unless I had one that was over 25 or 30 grand I probably wouldn't....but this is just me....I do have one in training, a Peptoboonsmal horse that is probably worth over 50 grand (not exactly sure how much they paid for her, I try not to get too nosy ;-) They do not have coverage on her either.

ETA: I think I remember something about your horses can be covered under your home owners insurance if on your property...also any other horse that you might board or train or etc...you might check on that too.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Foals just ARE expensive to insure -- that doesn't sound unreasonable to me. As mentioned you could see if you can get your farm policy to cover it if these horses live at home, but other than that, if you want insurance you just do kind of have to 'pony up'.

You have to ask yourself which cost you're more comfortable with -- $600 that will most likely be down the drain, or a *possible* however many thousand dollar lost in the unlikely but not impossible event that something goes wrong.

Good luck,

Pat

4. Chicken Fruit

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    Yeah I want to pay to get it, and am willing to pay the extra for the major medical, but no one wants to pay more than they have to especially in today's economic climate.

I'll just have to pony up as you say and pay the cost. The foal isnt at my farm until september. its still on is dam in MI until then. So no farm insurance to cover it.

its a friesian with insanely good breeding, and the dam just went STER this last fall... so this is a 15+k animal on the ground. Double that once I get some training into it. not an investment I want to risk without insurance.

5. seymore0626

seymore0626 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2008
    You might try mortality with a colic add on rather than major medical. We have lots of horses that are insured, and I have just covered several foals. If you want to send me a pm I can give you the names of several of companies. Might be a little cheaper.

6. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    its a friesian with insanely good breeding, and the dam just went STER this last fall... so this is a 15+k animal on the ground. Double that once I get some training into it. not an investment I want to risk without insurance.

What does this mean? If you don't mind..

7. Chicken Fruit

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    Quote:Th friesian breed is generally registered and graded by the FPS in holland that regulates the studbook and oversees the entire breed. Every year they the american chapter of FPS ships holland judges and runners out for the kuering. A horse can make 1st 2nd 3rd or studbook (stambok i think it is), come back again later and try for STER (its a model of the breed, cannot get any better, STAR in english) and then later as a breeding animal it can be made preferent based on the quality of its offspring (it throws foals that are equal to or better than itself). Stallions go through a stallion test after grading where they can be granted breeding approval- which is either instated or revoked after offspring evaluation.

My foals dam has about 4 foals on the ground, if enough of them make STER she would be made preferent. As it is she comes from an unbroken line of ster and preferents. Anne 340, the sire of my foal is also unbroken and considered by many to be the best sport type friesian stallion in america- makes hairy good tempered foals.

I guess theres a rating of model preferent that really hardly ever gets handed out... or something like that. I read it about it at one point and never paid much attention.

Iam new to it, but thats my understanding.

8. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
  9. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Thank you, Amosunknown. That is really neat!

10. 4hooves&featheredfriends

4hooves&featheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I believe that Farm Family does this type of insurance. Otherwise if you look in Practical Horsemen, Dressage Today or the Equine Journal there are advertisements for mortality policies.

Nice description of the keur process. In Vermont, there is a farm by the name of Friesians of Majesty and apparently they have very nice lines including the top mare in the Northeast, by their claim. Here is the link, http://www.friesiansofmajesty.com/index.php.

I
    have a Warmblood X and a BS Paint for my competition horses but a good Friesian is a fabulous ride... have fun.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by