Who Does and who doesn't eat there eggs while worming there birds?

Joe.G

Songster
8 Years
Nov 16, 2011
Eastern NY
Just wondering who here eats there Egg's while the birds are being wormed, I worm mine once a year, When it is all said and done that is about a month of throwing eggs out. What do you guys do during the worming period.

I don't generally worm but I have though about this some and it seems to me that birds that lay commercial eggs are treated with multiple medications and at least some of them pass into the eggs sold at the grocery. We treated two hens for Gape worm and the vet recommended a withdrawal period of 5 WEEKS which seemed excessive so I did two weeks.

In a case of routine worming I for sure would not sell the eggs or even give them away and probably would not feed them to a pregnant lady or a young child but I would have a pretty hard time tossing them out.

Last edited:
I use a natural wormer that doesn't require a waiting period. Food grade diatomaceous earth sprinkled into their food is what I have been using. No issues with worms and I don't have to toss the eggs.

It's been working so far for us. That's not to say that it will always be so. If we were to begin to have issues with any of our girls and worms despite the DE then I'd administer a different wormer...I just hesitate to do so, partly because of the waste (throwing eggs away) and partly because I don't like the idea of chemical medications as a general rule. It's a personal choice and certainly not for everyone.

Yes I am not saying DE Does not work, I have read and read and read about it, And I do use it, I just also tend to once a year use a Wormer like Safe guard or what not.

My Peafowl I worm 2 to 4 Times a year.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom