Who does this foot print belong too?

Carols Clucks

Songster
9 Years
Oct 13, 2010
Found this muddy print on our picket fence this morning.

Thinking it is not the cat!

69782_img00253-20110512-0934.jpg

That is an interesting one. I was going to say coon, but if it was a coon it would be defying gravity due to the direction of the prints pointing down. I think possum since they can hang on to the top rail with their tail and ease down a ways then drop to the ground.

Last edited:
Quote:
Raccoon was my first thougth too, but opossum makes more sense given the direction of the footprints.

My vote is raccoon.

We have had them in the past and this one left a big dent in the plants on the other side of the fence.

I think they are coming over one fence with the neighbors beside us and cutting through the yard to this street corner of our upper yard.

One good think about all white trim on your chicken coop, you sure can tell if you see foot prints!

For DECADES this upper yard was not so secure and had lots of vines and trees for critters, those are all gone now and the upper section is now fenced. I am guessing this is the one that got the hen mom accidentally locked out a few nights back. I reminded Mom to use the clips on the latches for the nest boxes at night. I think I will add another slide bolt latch on the pop door that has the ladder attached. And get that run done too (just for another layer of security) We also have a few live traps, might have to see what we get.

Raccoon - he climbed the fence on the other side and is climbing down. That is why the tracks point down. He steadied himself and then jumped. Make sure your coop is secure!

Oh, you can see where the coon was working on jumping up on the 2x4 rail of the picket fence by all the trampled plants and then had to get over the pickets and slide down the front.

Added

going to have to check with a couple of neighbors and find out if they are leaving cat/dog food out at night, coons will go after dogs! Two of the houses on the street are having major construction on them and one more is empty-who knows what lives in that jungle of a yard.

Our coop has a steep pitched tin roof, nice and new and very slippery. Raised 3 feet off the ground on the garden side of the retaining wall. The nest box side is solid other than the boxes because it is on the upper level of the garden (and were the coon tracks are) The ends are "open" with doors with latches and clips, solid on the bottom, hardware cloth or 1/2 poultry wire OVER welded wire and the chickens roost in the top, under the tin with more hardware cloth and plastic lattice panels. The tin over hangs by a foot from the lattice too.

My concern until the run is done, is a critter trying the pop door from the chicken ramp (should have mom pull the pins and remove it at night since I made it to be easy to pull off)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom