who doesn't refrigerate their eggs?

Vian

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 8, 2013
Most of the world does not refrigerate eggs. The only reason we do here in the US is because the egg industry washes the eggs and removes the protective mucous coating called the cuticle that protects the egg from bacteria. Fresh eggs that have not been washed can be kept at room temp for weeks. I plan to keep my eggs in a dish on my counter as I collect them (I have 4 hens and eat 3 eggs every day, so they won't sit around for long here!)

Since most of the world do not wash their eggs, I wonder if they treat the eggs with some type of sanitizer to protect the consumer since chickens are known to carry some types of bacteria.

I'm thinking about the chickens walking in the area where rhey poop and then walking in the area where they lay their eggs. That sounds risky.

I know the egg is sanitary when it is layed, but what about after it is layed?

Thoughts to ponder.

You can wash them right before you plan to use them. I don't think simply running them under water washes away the cuticle, but in the US, they scrub the crap out of them and basically sterilize the shells.

I have a basket that I keep most of my newer ones in (within the last couple weeks) on the counter. But I do refrigerate some, as they keep longer. I don't wash them until I use them.

We keep our clean unwash eggs in a basket on the kitchen counter for 1-2 weeks, the soiled ones get washed and refrigerated and get used immediately.

Most of the world does not refrigerate eggs. The only reason we do here in the US is because the egg industry washes the eggs and removes the protective mucous coating called the cuticle that protects the egg from bacteria. Fresh eggs that have not been washed can be kept at room temp for weeks. I plan to keep my eggs in a dish on my counter as I collect them (I have 4 hens and eat 3 eggs every day, so they won't sit around for long here!)
I collect mine and keep them on the counter! Unless they are really yucky (from mud/rain storm) I'll wash and put in fridge to eat the next day. My eggs don't last long in my household! They're so yummmmy!

Since most of the world do not wash their eggs, I wonder if they treat the eggs with some type of sanitizer to protect the consumer since chickens are known to carry some types of bacteria.

I'm thinking about the chickens walking in the area where rhey poop and then walking in the area where they lay their eggs. That sounds risky.

I know the egg is sanitary when it is layed, but what about after it is layed?

Thoughts to ponder.
Those are the ones I wash and use sooner then later. If they get really mucky I cook them and give as a treat!

Back
Top Bottom