Who doesn't use a hygrometer?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PunkinPeep, Jul 2, 2010.

1. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I just got my hova-bator delivered yesterday. And after reading here on BYC, i was shocked to discover that the bator doesn't come with a hygrometer AND the instructions don't mention the use of a hygrometer at all. You're just supposed to fill the trough and keep in full, and everything's alright.

So, are there those of you who have successful hatches withOUT a hygrometer?

2. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Brinsea Eco didn't come with one, and I've never used one [​IMG] With the exception of a poor hatch thatI blame on the post office, most of my hatches have been in the 90% or higher.

3. clothdiaperingmom

clothdiaperingmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    Sweetwater, TX
    I have 3 hygometers in mine.

4. smokeyodie97

smokeyodie97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2010
    MISSISSIPPI
    I dont have one.

5. PunkinPeep

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Quote:How are your hatches?

6. Keri78

Keri78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2009
    NJ
    My Brinsea Eco didn't come with one...I got mine CHEAP!!! from ebay...free next day shipping! It's an awesome little device to have...you can plop it in the bator and always know at a glance the correct temp & humid. Humid is tricky b/c it changes ALOT ...especially at the end of your hatch(when it's most crucial!) I had to put scotch tape over the vent and the extra holes until the last couple of days just to maintain the humidity at 50%. During the hatch I used a medicine dropper to add water through the vent holes and untape a few holes as the chicks hatched and the humidity rose too high. As the chicks dried off(I kept my chicks in the bator for 48hrs.) I continued to watch the humidity and keep it above 65% so the remainder of the eggs could hatch. I guess my point is that although it "Can" be done without a hygrometer...why risk a good hatch after you've invested all of your time & money in the bator, the eggs, etc.... Blessings, Keri

PS. After I moved the chicks from the bator to the brooder...I just plopped the hygrometer right in there with them so I could always check the temp of the brooder at a glance too!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  7. PunkinPeep

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Quote:Well, i have a make-do hygrometer that i calibrated to use until i can get a better one. But i'm just curious about what people really do.

8. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    I keep one in my incubator so I can tell what it is but when I fill the water channels like the directions say..it runs where I've decided that it works best for me amazing for a China special....the only time it was hard to keep correct is during lock down because until I drilled a hole for a tube to fit into I couldn't add water to my middle channel after I did that it's worked even better. I like mine because you can't fiddle with it came preset so when it's cold I made a styrofoam box for it to stay in then it held the temperature just perfect. I do have a fancy Turn-X it is wonderful but for the money it should be

9. gvntofly05

gvntofly05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    IN
    I haven't used one since my very first hatch.

I fill the troughs and add water when they are low. On day 18 I place a small dish of water covered with a vented lid in there. I have a 90% hatch rate.

10. PunkinPeep

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Quote:awesome! what kind of incubator do you use?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by