Who doesn't worry with humidity?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KyleD., Mar 26, 2009.

1. KyleD.

KyleD. Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2009
    south carolina
    I've read and read about humidity, well im beginning to think it may no be all that important. My friend hatches all the time in a LG, he just fills the wells up and keeps them filled up and turns by hand 2 times a day. He has like 90% hatches every single time. I dont get it at all. Who else does this?

2. the_eagle69

the_eagle69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    I do I fill the wells with water and check thelm twice a week and add if needed on day 18 i take the truner out fill the wells up and try to add a sponge or just a little extria some thing to get a little more water in there. Oh yea i use the thermonter that came with it also i do chcke it off and on aginst some others. I also keep my temp at 100 that way it can go up or down with out a lot of problems.

3. jonty

jonty Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2008
    Voßfeld Germany
    Humidity is very important the same as tempreture. One or two of these wrong and forget it.

4. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    I never even look at it. Just pour and go. My hatch rates seem to be much better than most people's on this forum, and I often get 100% to hatch. Last year I did get sucked into this forum's obsession with humidity, and I bought everything to monitor it and kept it right where it "should" be. Had the worst hatch ever. I sold all that crud and have reverted back to never even paying attention, and I'm back to my phenomenal hatch rates. I've decided to ignore the hatching suggestions on this site from now on, because I've apparently been accidentally doing everything right since I was in first grade. [​IMG]

5. chickenlove2009

chickenlove2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Woodlawn, Tn
    Quote:cute. [​IMG]

I do not worry about the humidity, either. but I do check the water often and only fill it up half way, but hey thats just me.

6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I dont worry about it. I dont even moniter humidity the first 18 days, just moniter the air sacs. On day 18 I move them to the hatcher and bump the humidity to 65%.

7. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I live in a freaking dessert. OF COURSE I have to worry about humidity!

8. the_eagle69

the_eagle69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    There is a lot of great advice here and a lot of great ppl. As for doing everyting right it's not and accidend those bators are desinged to provied proper humidity. With that said that is for the average humidity of the most part of the country. Very little more is needed however if you live in a dry area you will have to watch it very closely. The same for a wet area.

9. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    Quote:That makes sense. I figure I lucked out with a good bator, then, because it sure does its job. [​IMG]

10. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I probably worry too much about my humidity, and I have the terrible hatches to prove it. Last summer, when I first started hatching eggs, I could never get my humidity to stay over 50% for the hatch, and usually ran it around 35% during incubation. This winter, I have decided to keep it around 45-50% during incubation, and I have a lot of eggs that quit close to the end. I don't know if it's related, but I'm going to stop worrying about it so much. Last summer my hatch rates were 90%+, this winter has been more like 30%. But every egg I have set this winter has been shipped, so I know that doesn't help. But when you have half of a batch of shipped eggs developing on day 10, then only one or no chicks hatch, there is something wrong!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by