Who done it?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BrianM, Jan 26, 2011.

1. BrianM

BrianM Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2009
    South Louisiana
    My Barred Rock started laying four days ago and has now given me an egg everyday since and now they are up to a grocery store large size. Yesterday someone else decided to give me a gift so the question is who?? Light brown egg is from the Barred Rock and the new smaller darker brown with lots of speckles is my new layer. I have narrowed it down to three. Is this from my Welsummer, Black Copper Marans or the Cuckoo Marans . The Welsummer has the darkest reddest comb, I have seen the Cuckoo Marans in the nest box a few times and the Black Copper is the largest of the thee. I know it is definitely not from my Red Laced Wynadotte or the Americana. So who done it??

[​IMG]

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I think it's the Cuckoo Marans. Marans tend to have a glossy coating on their eggs and welsummers tend to have a matte finish to their eggs.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Here's my eggs if it helps:

Wellie eggs right (they were close to molt at this point so they were a bit on the light side), BCM eggs left (that girl was having an off couple of days, they are usually darker and shinier, but I liked the speckles so I took a picture) and center.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  4. rearrolled

rearrolled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    Aussie
    HAY IM NOT SHORE MY ISA BROWN LAYS HUGE EGGS [​IMG] BIGGER THAN ALL MY BREEDS AND THAT BROWN EGG IS THE -EGGSACTE- SAME AS MYN [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by