who dun it?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kleinheksel farm, Aug 4, 2011.

1. kleinheksel farm

kleinheksel farm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2011
    Holland, MI
    our lovely hens started laying this week!! today we got 3! all of our hens we were told would lay brown eggs, but today we got an egg that was brown with dark brown speckles. is there one breed that will lay speckled eggs over the others, or is it possible that it could be any of these breeds? the breeds that we have are:

barred rock
    black australorp
    buff orpington
    and new hampshire red

i'll post a pic later when i get one [​IMG] eggs are so exciting!!!

2. CajunWildTurkey

CajunWildTurkey Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2011
    Do ya have a picture of the egg. I have buff and rocks. and I know my rocks have laid light brown egg with specks are shade darker then the egg.

3. smallcitychick

smallcitychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Central Washington
    My mom has several chickens (buff orpingtons, rhode island reds, black austrolorps, easter eggers and one silver laced wyandotte) she has one of those hens that lays a brown egg with dark speckles. We're not sure which hen it is though. HOWEVER, I had a broody hatch out several eggs from my mother this spring, and one of them was from the speckled egg. She's a pretty black and white speckled pullet. So my best guess is that it came from a easter egger/black australorp cross but it's just a guess. If I had to venture a guess I would say it was one of your black australorps laying the egg.

4. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

5. kleinheksel farm

kleinheksel farm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2011
    Holland, MI
    here is a picture of two of today's eggs...

[​IMG]

not a huge deal who's it is.. but i'm just trying to figure out which ones are laying and which ones aren't [​IMG]

6. CajunWildTurkey

CajunWildTurkey Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2011
    Kind of looks like my Bar Rock egg just your eggs are a shade or 2 darker then mine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by