Who Eats Guineas????

RAREROO

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 22, 2009
Alapaha, Ga
Hi

I just butchered a duck for thanksgiving for the first time just to try, it was all really dark meat and kinda tough so I didnt really care for it.

So now for christmas, I am thinking about trying to cook a guinea for the first time and I wanted to hear what those of you who have butchered quineas before have to say about them and what you can tell me about the meat ( White meat, dark meat, some of both like turkeys ?) I have heard that they are a lot like pheasants but I have never had pheasant either. And if any of you have pics of a dressed carcass or what the meat looks like that you can post, that would be great too.

Thanks

I have never eaten a guinea fowl, but just today I came across something that said that people often cross a guinea with a rooster to improve the meat. The offspring are sterile, but if they're for meat, I guess it doesnt matter. As for duck, they are all dark meat but they shouldnt be tough. I soak my poultry in brine to thaw them from the freezer and then I slow roast them on a low heat (aside from chicken). This allows the grease to melt and drain off because it takes longer to cook.

Never tried a gunea, but duck...
droolin.gif

But I like dark meat and skin. Duck in Peking style is the best.

The duck I had was an older muscovy drake so I imagine him being older had something to do with the toughness. Also, the duck, to me, was a lot like a flank steak as far as appearance and taste, I am an not a fan of steak/red meat other than ground beef, so that was another reason I didnt like it. To someone who actually does like the taste of red meat it probably would taste better.

As for the crossing, they like most hybrids are hard to get the birds to mate naturally unless say the rooster was raised by guineas and he and the other guineas though he was a guinea, other than that, its hard to do and then those kinds of hybrids usually have a higher death rate. And I just dont think it would be worth it to try to raise them for meat.

Oh And I do think I may try again with younger ducks of both Muscovies and a mallard derived breed like pekins and see if there is any difference there, so if you would like to post or PM me to tell me how you prepare yours, that would be great too

I've eaten guinea. Recently dressed a couple of the male guineas, approx. 7 months old, and the one we've eaten was really good. Fixed guinea and dumplings and it was enjoyed by all who tasted it. Mostly dark meat with the breast meat a little lighter than rest. Definitely more robust flavor than chicken, but even farm raised chickens have more flavor than store bought.
I recommend it to anyone who hasn't tried it.

*sidenote;
Not sure of the origin, but here in Central FL everyone (locals) usually refers to "processing" as dressing an animal. My grandfather always referred to dressing a beef or hog or chicken when butchering an animal. Anyone have any idea where that term originated and is the process called other names in other areas of country or world ?

We eat guinea often. It's great! My wife and kids were sure they wouldn't like it, but once they tried it they were hooked. It has a slightly different taste than home grown chicken, but hard to describe the difference. We like ours roasted whole with a black pepper rub my wife uses. Yum!

I had a friend that got some guineas for free. They ended up butchering them and I believe put bacon on the breast to keep it moist. They said it was really good!

some1 told my dad when we started considering guineas that you have to shoot them becouse if you catch them and butcher them like a chicken the meat turns blue. is there any truth to this as ive noticed when i catch mine there legs turn a dark blue/black color

We keep Guineas for tick control, and they free range around the farm and roost in the trees. Last summer I hatched some EE chicks, and a Guinea hen hatched a keet a day later. Since Guineas are awful mommas, I caught and raised the keet with the chicks. Three months later, I mixed the keet and his 21 siblings in with my main layer flock. Pretty soon I learned that "Micky" is a male, and he's scared to death of the "spotted demon birds," and he truly believed he was a chicken. Since I don't like feeding animals who don't lay eggs, I decided to butcher him with his male siblings.
sad.png
Under all the feathers, he was small and scrawny, and probably only a third the size of the small EE roosters. I can't comment on taste, because I haven't gotten myself to cook dear Micky up yet...
sad.png

Guineas are very hardy and easy to raise, but chickens are definitely a more cost efficient source of meat unless you have several acres of cleared land for them to graze. I've never had French Guineas, but if you want Guineas for meat, these are your best bet (they usually can't reproduce naturally though). If you want a "normal" Guinea, then I'd definitely recommend the Pearl. They are the largest, hardiest, and have the best predator protection coloration. Lavenders and Whites are smaller, less hardy, and are much more susceptible to predators.

Back
Top Bottom