Who else feels guilty?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickenshagg, Jan 9, 2011.

1. chickenshagg

chickenshagg THE ALPHA ROO

Apr 18, 2009
    St. Charles, MO
    I try to keep the treats that I feed my chickens to a minimum. Just like my kids I don't want them filling up on treats and not eat their regular food. But I always feel guilty whenever I walk outside and they all come running to me. I feel like I should have something for them. I know the treats that they are getting are not necessarily bad for them but probably not high enough in protien and calcium which they need for laying.

2. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    I am right there with you....I feel like I shouldn't start something that I can't continue each time I go out and you can't explain it to them. sometimes I will walk into their house and just throw out a hand of their food in the feeder, sometimes it works, sometimes NOT... lol

3. FrizzlesRule

FrizzlesRule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    I can't eat anything around my bantams without them wanting what I'm eating. Muggsy jumps on my leg and taps it with her beak to get my attention and won't leave me alone until I share what I'm eating. It doesn't matter what it is, junk food, or any kind of food. I usually share with them, but don't over do it. They still have no problem eating their food, so I guess some treats won't hurt them. I never give them chocolate of any kind.

4. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Not me, I actually gave my pullet too many treats and she got to fat and died while trying to lay an egg.

5. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I feel like I should have something for them

Throw a handful of their normal feed​

6. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    It's hard to resist those expectant little faces, isn't it? [​IMG]

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Throw a handful of their normal feed

Agreed. I throw out a handful of their pellets on the ground. For some reason it tastes much better on the ground than it does in the feeder. [​IMG]

8. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    So glad I am not the only one. All 11 of my hens and 3 roo's come running when they see me. I don't give them treats all the time. But I feel guilty:hit. They are all like but hey where is my food. LOL. I am sure all of yours like mine are spoiled rotten. Gotta love them

9. AlixS

AlixS Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2010
    Tampa
    Why not just use foods that are good for them like various greens and other veggies as treats?

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    yep I've been noticing that mine haven't been eating as much feed lately, so I have to cut back on the warm oatmeal with raisins and cinnamon, the mealworms, oh my gosh if they don't get meal worms I don't know what might happen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by