Who else gets migraines both with and without aura?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by cackle, Apr 20, 2009.

1. cackle

cackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I have had migraines since I was 16. I am now 54 and over the last few years I have started having what I thought were sinus headaches because I don't have the light flashes which come with my mirgraines.

When I get these headaches it is in the middle of the night and so painful they wake me up. Then I start throwing up. SO there is no way I can take anything for them. I get my husband to take me to the doc in the box (unrgent care) as soon as it opens and they give me a shot for pain and one for nausea. Then I sleep most of the day and by the time I am awake and functioning the worst of the headache has passed.

Like I said the doctor is not sure because it is a quick in and out office. I do go see my regular doctor next month and check with her but thought I would post here to see if it is common to have both types.

Thanks,

Susan

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  2. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    This is probably too much information, but....I get migraines from an overactive ovary, that leads to a major overload of hormones! Which triggers the migraines.

3. cackle

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:You are right hormones are a big cause of migraines in a lot of women. But LOL TMI I had those removed 7 years ago. I am on a medication that supresses estrogen because of BC 6 years ago.

When you get your migraines do you get both the type with aura (light) and the type without? The headaches I have been getting lately are so painful I can't function. Worst than even my normal migraines.

4. KyleD.

KyleD. Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2009
    south carolina
    I get them really bad. They suddenly sneak up on me during the day. I get both sometimes i can stand light others i can't. I can NEVER put up with any noise what so ever.

5. cackle

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    KyleD. :

I get them really bad. They suddenly sneak up on me during the day. I get both sometimes i can stand light others i can't. I can NEVER put up with any noise what so ever.

The ones without the aura I seem more sensitive to sound and movement. They are both bad. I am thinking these are more stress related that other triggers.​

6. KyleD.

KyleD. Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2009
    south carolina
    Stress will really cause it. If i have gone all day and really havent eaten much that will also trigger mine. I've been to doctor after doctor trying to find the reason why and they never have a answer. I've had blood work and all sorts of scans and everything.

7. Catalina

Catalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    Minnesota
    My mom has had migraines her entire life and recently started getting really bad headaches that she didn't think were migraines. She thought they were sinus headaches.

Last week she went to the eye doctor and she has glaucoma. Now she has to have surgery. Her eyes went from a pressure of 2 last year to a pressure of 22 this year! The headaches were from pressure building up in her eyes!

She's about the same age as you too. People keep telling her, "Oh my grandma has glaucoma."
    And my mom says, "How old is your grandma?"
    They say, "Oh, 95."
    And my mom says, "Well, I'm only 56!"

If you havn't had your eyes checked you might want to.

Hope you feel better soon! [​IMG]

8. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    I was getting migraines and migraine auras and ended up at the hospital pain clinic. The pain would start at the back of my head and radiate all the way to the front and even cause pain in my ear. I would also end up car sick everytime we went anywhere. After having my eyes checked and ruling out anything wrong there. The doc at the pain clinic discovered I had Occipital Neuralgia...which is basically an irritation/inflamation of the nerves under the bones at the back of the skull. I got steroid/pain shots on both sides twice now and haven't had the migraine or auras since. I also take Mobic and Flexeril, which also helps keep the headaches and pain away. Hopefully soon I will go in to have some sort of Cryo- procedure done to permanently freeze those nerves. The shots are very painful and I can only get them 4 times a year.

9. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:I get them around the time of ovulation and my periods. Not every month, but often enough. I have a friend who gets them something terrible with her periods. I'm going to ask her if her doctor has ever looked into an overactive ovary possibility with her.

Edited to add.... I've never experienced the kind with aura, but I have thrown up from them. No matter what kind, they do make you want to pull your head off, don't they? [​IMG]

10. cackle

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:I think it is about time for my eyes to be checked. I will have to call my eye doctors office and see. I do go every 2 years which is what my incurance payes for. I thought at first these were sinus headache but I have no other symptoms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by