Who else has australian spotted ducks? Bump - comments on molt?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Giddyup, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Giddyup

Giddyup Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Vancouver Island, BC
    We have a pair, a bluehead hen and greenhead drake, "Dolly and Dumbo". Love them to death! We are expecting our first clutch, hopefully, in another 2 weeks. Can't inspect unfortunately she made it under the garden shed- stinker.

Looking forward to increasing our bunch but will need another drake for the females. I only know of one other person in my area that has them, which is who we got them from.

They are kept with our runners with no problem. Only problem may be/has been "Heidie", our older runner, who plays chaperone, only because she wants him for herself.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Do you have pictures?

3. Giddyup

Oct 22, 2008
    Vancouver Island, BC
    Not any good ones yet and I haven't figured out how to post pics here [​IMG]

Aurelia

4. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a cochin hen that just hatched out three australian spotted bantam duckies. They are C-U-T-E! Another member on here has some(that's where I got the eggs). Her name is Asher. Check out her website, she has great pics.

5. Giddyup

Oct 22, 2008
    Vancouver Island, BC
    Thanks! I found Asher through a search and sent a message. I might even give up my runners for these guys. My older favorite runner won't let them breed, she's a bit of a "cougar" [​IMG][​IMG]

6. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    I have Australian Spotted Ducks, too. They are the sweetest little ducks. I also have Runners, who are great layers and fun to watch, but the Aussie Spots are more friendly than the Runners.

Chel

[​IMG]

7. Giddyup

Oct 22, 2008
    Vancouver Island, BC
    Hi Chel, yup they sure are friendlier than the runners. Our duck, "Dolly" comes when called even off the water.
    Our Dolly is a bluehead, your females wings are much darker - what are colour are they?
    Are they popular in your area or hard to find?
    There's a flock of 5 near me I'd like to get my hands on...but that would give us 3 drakes and 4 ducks. Would like to take them and sell 2 pairs I think, keep a new duck. Apparently one of them won the nationals (canada).

8. I've been wondering if Australian Spotteds quack as loud or as often as other bantam weight ducks?

9. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    If you are talking about Calls as the other bantam Ducks the answer is NO, the Australian spotted is not as noisy. The Calls were used as live decoys for hunting ducks. They were supposed to be loud to attract or 'Call' the flying ducks down out of the sky so they would be easier to shoot. The small size was permoted to make them easy to carry to the hunting spot. ~gd

10. Thanks gd! Guess they pretty much like other ducks, quack-wise.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by