Who else has Blue Andalusians in Denver CO (or similar climate)?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by henvy, Jun 26, 2016.

1. henvy

henvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2012
    I just got a Blue Andalusian chick that I hadn't planned on - I reserved a Brown Leghorn, but they didn't hatch, so I opted for the Blue Andalusian after some very brief research on my phone in the feed store.

Now that I'm doing more research I see that they aren't especially cold hardy. So, I'd love to hear from others here in Denver or in other places that experience at least a few months of cold winter.

How do they really do in cold winter weather? Do they do better in hot months of summer? Any special care for them in winter?

Thanks all!

2. Mr BrahmaRama

Mr BrahmaRama Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2015
    Dubuque, Iowa
    My Coop
    They have a large thin comb which is prone to frostbite. I live in Iowa and got an andelusian, before I knew anything about keeping hens. We had a rather mild winter in 2016, and she still got bit. FYI, You'll have the same problem with brown leghorns. I have one of those as well.

Keep her out of the winter wind.

3. henvy

henvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2012
    Thanks for the information and advice. At least our winters here are mostly dry (not much humidity here in the west), but I'll plan for a winter wind break in the run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by