1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Who else has had bums take up residence in your coop?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 3chickchicks, Nov 18, 2013.

1. 3chickchicks

3chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2013
    N. Texas
    My bums are 27 weeks. Even though they have a light in the coop to get their bum-butts up early in the morning, they continue to refuse to work. Or maybe they're house squatters? No eggs yet but they continue to poo everywhere and eat all the food.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I've got some 34 week old freeloaders.

3. 3chickchicks

Jun 25, 2013
    N. Texas
    Welcome to the club!

Lots of drama this morning. My, judging by combs, "most mature" was pacing the run and voicing her displeasure about my not being prompt in letting her out to free range. I think I shall sit outside and lick my lips at them, show them the grill, etc.

1 person likes this.
  4. Cluky

Cluky Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Chicago
    I have a free loader. She is close to a year old, chocolate Orpington and I am about to just get rid of her. I cannot have freeloaders since I live in city an every spot is for someone who contributes!

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    If you want a broody, then keep her. I had 2 birds of different breeds hold out for 11 months. Both started laying and laid for a few months, then went broody. Both were fantastic mothers too.

6. Cluky

Apr 13, 2012
    Chicago
    I am ok with broody, but this one does nothing, just has a dumb look on her beak ha ha :)

7. 3chickchicks

Jun 25, 2013
    N. Texas
    Has she been panhandling?

If mine knew how to write, they'd be holding cardboard signs. I don't doubt for a minute that Lulu would try and make people think she is a veteran.

8. Cluky

Apr 13, 2012
    Chicago
    she is too dumb to do that ha ha... she can't even figure out sometimes that some things aren't food. anyway gives me a whole new appreciation about my other breeds I have. problem is I spend, and I frown at myself for doing so, crapload of money relatively speaking for her. and of course most expensive bird is the one that is useless!!!!

9. 3chickchicks

Jun 25, 2013
    N. Texas
    Isn't that the way it always goes? An inverse relationship of epic proportions!

I too have spent way more money than I should. Perhaps that's why they aren't laying? If I bought them a $10 coup held together with rusty nails that wiggles a little, I'm sure they'd be laying. But no, I had to go spend hundreds of dollars on material to build one similar to what you'd spend $800 buying.

Oh crap, what if they think I bought the coop? I won't get eggs for five years!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by