who else has lost chickens to the extreme heat?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by tinychicky, Jul 31, 2010.

1. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    i just got back from my vacation in maine. while i was gone, one of my sweetest hen died probably because of the heat. as a pullet she broke her leg and had to live in the kitchen for a month and a half and only a year and a month ago, her sister passed. they are the only two i've ever lost in all five years of having chickens. losing one while i'm away has always been one of my worst nightmares and now i feel so, so sick. c'mon, i know i'm not alone! who else has lost chickens to the extreme heat?

2. AJ666

AJ666 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    La Crosse, WI
    Aww I'm sorry for your loss [​IMG]
    The heat has taken a definite toll here. Ugh. All my animals are suffering.

Sorry gain [​IMG]

3. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    I lost 2 this year so far from the extreme heat. One was a silkie hen that got caught in the netting around her pen. She was in the sun for hours as we werent home. When I found her I brought her inside and put her in a cool bath but her body temp was just too high. She lasted a few days but finally lost her battle. The second was a young blue giant rooster who also go caught in the direct sunlight too long. Now my yards look like a tent city Every pen I have has a large tarp covering it to keep some of the sun off the birds. It has helped alot. I also put dollar store dish tubs in the pens filled with cool water. The birds love to step into the water and bathe to cool off.

4. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    So sorry! The heat index yesterday was 115 degrees here. It was probably the most oppressively hot and humid day that I can recall for the last 30 years. I have a hen missing that hasn't come home in 2 days and I assume her to have been killed by a predator. Don't know for sure...could have been the heat...could be broody somewhere but I doubt it. [​IMG]

Yesterday, for the first time I began to be really concerned that I would lose one or two due to the heat. I put out another big fan blowing into the large fowl pen and am leaving it on 24/ 7 for now. They get on the roost, face the fan and hold out their wings until they cool off some. Problem is, the fan is blowing 115 degree air, so I'm not sure it's doing a whole lot of good.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2010
  5. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    I had a hen with an injury so I was treating with antibiotic that cause diahrea.... I lost her to flystrike...It can happen so fast!!!!

6. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Fortunately I haven't lost anyone to the heat. My whole property is shaded by trees all day, except for one area by the house and one part of my horse pasture, so I am sure that helps. The chickens free range during the day and they stay in the shade of course. I do see them panting, though, so I know it is hot. I make sure they have water and will refresh it with cold water on my days off. On the days I work they just have to deal with it. So far so good:fl

7. chicnique

chicnique New Egg

Jul 30, 2010
    During this really hot season we are having, I have been told NOT to feed them scratch feed. We went to the feed store yesterday and were going to buy some scratch, but the man in the store, who has chickens said the chickens cannot handle the corn when it is so hot.

8. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I have been told and read the same for years, so I don't feed scratch in the summer either. Didn't bother with the specifics, but supposedly it is high in calories that convert to heat generation.

Since scratch is only a treat anyway, I use other treats in the summer. Mine love cold watermelon! Lettuce trimmings, carrot peelings, tomatoes.....

I lost a really good rooster early this year to either heat or a congenital problem, not sure which. But I keep fresh cool water going all the time, layer pellets and shade at all times. I go out 2-4 times a day to spray down the coop roofs to cool them down inside.

9. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    the scratch feed is high in fat, so it helps to insulate them in the cold weather. i give it to the flock during the winter but never in summer.

using a fan is a good idea. i may have to try that.

10. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I lost my precious Splash orp cockerel on the 14th of July. I put an air conditioner in the coop a few days later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last week I almost lost my salmon faverolle but I found her in time and brought her inside for some AC, a cool soak and some electrolytes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by