Who else has sweet Sicilian Buttercups? If not you have to get some!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by lovemychix, Apr 14, 2009.

1. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    I absolutely love my Buttercups. They are the sweetest birds. They greet me and want to be held and jump on me every chance they get. They are beautiful too. Mine are exactly 6 mo. and I will always keep this breed. I was just wondering if other peoples are as sweet as mine. My other breeds are friendly but not like the Butters!
    I wish I had a pic. My computer crashed and I didn't get to save my recent pics. I will have to get some pics of them.

2. PrinceFarm

PrinceFarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2009
    Conroe, Texas
  3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Being a Sicilian myself I think it would be fun to have some of our native homeland chickens. I have thought of this often, how do handle very bad weather all the time??.

AL

4. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    I've got two pullets who are 2 and half weeks old. I had a rooster who was half buttercup, half silkie but he got aggressive and we rehomed him to a local farm.

5. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    That youtube video reminded me how cute they are! My daughter said they looked like little robbers because of their masks. [​IMG]

Mine seem to tolerate cold well. I live in Iowa and this winter was freezing.

6. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    my pair handled winter real good. very nice birds.

7. PrinceFarm

Apr 12, 2009
    Conroe, Texas
    I was just reading some about buttercups and noticed it said the males and females look totaly different. I guess I have all females.

8. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I have 2 pullets about 6 weeks old. I love them! They are very nice and talk to me a lot.

Mine are from a hatchery (Estes) and have combs that are an imperfect cup (as they develop, it looks as though, anyway). Where did you all get yours, and how do they look vs. the standard? I'm just curious. Mine look like the pics posted, not like the REAL Sicilian one on Feathersite (overseas, I mean).

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  9. PrinceFarm

Apr 12, 2009
    Conroe, Texas
    I got mine from murry mcmurry. I wouldn't know imperfect if I saw it. Mine are still kind of young and their combs are still real small, plus they are pullets. Of the 12 breeds I have now these are the friendliest.

[​IMG]

10. PrinceFarm

Apr 12, 2009
    Conroe, Texas
    Oh, I forgot to mention the green feet. I thought that was unusual. It is strange that mine are all pullets, I ordered 2 females 1 male.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by