1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Who else is moving their babies to the coop this weekend

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bobbieschicks, Nov 24, 2011.

1. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    I'm moving the babies over from their side of the coop to the bigs side this weekend - hoping for the best but will keep a close watch on them all. It's supposed to be in the 60s during the day and 50s at night so perfect time for shifting them over. They're 6 weeks old and feathered out and have been hanging around watching the bigs and being watched through the wire for 2 weeks now. I'm thinking there's no time better time. If I wait for them to get much bigger - the bigs will be getting bigger too and the weather will be getting colder. So this weekend is the big move. Who's with me?!?

They're moving on out to the bigs' side! To the delux compartment in the coop [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Get ready bigs!
    [​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I moved my two special chicks to their own little coop the day before yesterday. They are cochin/silkie Xs. They are six weeks old, a pullet and a cockerel. The little pullet is a crossbeak and I didn't want her to have to compete with the older birds so they got their own coop.

Our daytime temps. are in the 50s and 60s and our nighttime temps. are in the high 30s to 40s.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  3. SC-ChickMom

SC-ChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Lexington
    My 5 cornish X will be moved out this weekend. My egg chicks will have to wait a couple more weeks.

4. LoveNewChicks

LoveNewChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2011
    I don't know,
    My Coop
    they are so cute what breed are they silkies?

5. MicheleC

MicheleC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Lake Charles
    Moved my 6 wk old marans outside two days ago. They are extremely tame and were pacing the fence by me and "calling" for me. I felt sooo guilty their first night out. The next morning they were perched together happy as can be. It's about 75-80 during the day and low 50's at night. Nice weather, I just really spoiled these.

6. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Moved mine out today. Gave them a lamp for heat and put them in the broody coop that I have in case I ever am lucky enough to have a broody.

7. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Quote:I have 5 lavender orpingtons and 3 silkie babies. They are all so beautiful. [​IMG]

8. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Well I moved them over just a few minutes ago under cover of dusk. The bigs were awake on the roost. I put the babies in a pile on the floor. I pray they will be fine but I will check on them early tomorrow. I'm of course mostly worried about my silkies around my oldest hen. Praying all goes smoothly for my merger and all of yours.

9. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    They seem so small and fragile. I hate to see them grow up. But I do love getting those eggs.

10. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Well everyone survived the night - I checked on them at crack of dawn and they were huddled together on the floor under the manure box overhang. The bigs were already itching to get out of the coop and practically knocked me down on their way out the door. Apparently I screwed up the timing of the automatic door when I manually closed it yesterday. I'll have to watch it today and make sure it's opening/closing properly.

I let the bigs out to freerange for awhile and closed the large door to the coop and pushed everyone out the chicken door down the ramp so they could figure out how to exit the coop - LOL! The babies all ran under the coop and are basically huddling together and running around. I put the bigs back inside for now as my 1 layer hasn't laid anything yet today and I'm still hoping she will.

I'll let them all out again later to free range some more and see how they are getting along. I think as long as they can survive Snow White's pecks everything should be fine. She's the oldest and lead hen - and the only one laying right now.

So prayerfully everyone will get into their pecking order and things can start going smoothly forward. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by