Who else loves to hear their roo crow?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by cat1994, Aug 22, 2011.

1. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    Hi all I have had roos since I first got into chickens so I have never been without at least one roo crowing. I really enjoy the deep crow a big hefty roo makes more then the higher pitch crow of say a bantam bird. But I must admit I very much like the crow of my Japanese Bantam (Lil big man), I truly love the sound of his crow which he sounds off every morning at around 5:00 and no other time. Plus now I have some Silkies that have turned out to be cockerels and are just learning how to crow so they sound awful but they still try to have a “crow off” with Lil big man of which they always lose to him. But it seems I have been taking their crowing in the morning for granted. I spent two nights with my friend who lives in town and has no animals what so ever (yeah that’s right I was away from my flock for two whole days and nights and I worried nonstop about them but my dad was nice enough to call me on the second day to tell me everyone was ok) anyway each morning I would wake up at around 5:00 and lie there missing my Lil big mans crow I could not get back to sleep. I couldn’t believe that it was affecting me so much, it made me realiz that his crowing and the awful crowing of my new lil boys was a very important part of my morning and I have a felling that having a flock just wouldn’t be the same for me without a roo to crow. Anyone else enjoy their roo or roos (if you have a couple) crowing a lot?

2. me me me me meeeeeeeeeeee [​IMG] i love to wake to my Big Guy first thing in the morning. I leave my bathroom window open purposly just to hear him at 6:00AM every morning..... and I am NOT a morning person. This way I know all is well in the taj ma hal and can go back to sleep for another hour without worrying about them... [​IMG]

3. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Not my neighbors [​IMG]

I only have hens but I must say that I love to hear them amking all of their communication sounds and the alpha doing her "male style crow". They are so cute and enjoyable to listen to and watch.

4. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    Not me. But then my coop is right outside my bedroom window... and I'm not allowed to have a rooster...and I have double the amount of chickens...and my run is too big...so I'm a dead man if anyone complains....and he...just...won't...shut...up!

5. yoie

yoie Chillin' With My Peeps

I love hearing my rooster Krull (LF cochin) crow. He starts at about 5:30 am (according to my neighbors) and every time a hen lays an egg. They love him though, they are an elderly couple that says it brings them back to when our whole area had chickens just roaming around. They especially love my one barred rock hen, they said that was the type that used to roam around here and they couldn't believe that they were still around. They thought the white chickens (leghorns) took over and that barred rocks were a breed of the past now.

A pic of our hansome man
    [​IMG]

6. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    I do!! I even like the fact that I have way to many right now and they LOVE to get into crowing contests!! [​IMG]

7. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

Its music to my ears! [​IMG]

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I have a little more than just "a couple" and yes, I enjoy their crowing [​IMG] - The best part is that if I ever hear a crow, I always know who did it.

I most enjoy their "lady invitation" sounds though [​IMG] Some of the boys get so excited about things, most having very distinctive calls, and some of them have a pretty weak call that's honestly so cute for how HUGE the bird is.

9. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    Quote:I know what you mean my Lil big man has the sweetest, softest voice when he is calling his ladies over to him he is such a gentleman not like my NHR roo I had a while back.

It isn't that good of one but here is a pic of Lil big man when he was talking all sweet to one of his big beautiful hefty ladies Lacy
    [​IMG]

10. oh they are gorgeous!!!!! lucky you.

Isnt it funny how we all know our roos vioces? i could pick mine out of a crowd of them no problem.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by