1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Who else misses the good days of movies?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Moochie, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    I miss the prosthetics [​IMG] I saw the trailer for the new Planet of the Apes and when I saw the cgi apes I didn't really wanna see it. I still do but I miss the good ol' movie props. I miss the gallons of fake blood and the little scary creatures that had like 15 people controlling it.
    I actually saw a movie that had cgi blood -__-

I miss creativity also. I also like the B-Grade 80's movies. I love The Breakfeast Club!! I miss the western movies that didn't have ridiculous amounts of cursing and sex in it, like today :|
    I miss alot of other things too.

How about you?

2. Gardengirl 2011

Gardengirl 2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Central Florida
    I have to agree. And Breakfast Club is a classic in my house, lol. I like the westerns with Sam Elliot and John Wayne.

3. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Everyone was telling me how awesome Avatar was, so I went to the theater to see it. I walked out 20 minutes into it. No one else could understand, they thought it was so great. To me, overuse of CGI really ruins it.

4. gogoalie

gogoalie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Alaska
    Umm...True Grit didn't have sex, or swearin' in it...

5. Caat

Caat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    BC,
    to a certain degree I agree for example, I love the good old disney movies like snow white, cinderella, aristocats, backgrounds were water colors, the singing was done by truly talented people. Things were hand drawn... I really don't care anymore for the 3D effect to animated movies.

CGI.... yes, there can be such a thing as too much but last night, I watched the original Tron.... dear lord was it ever aweful! BUT I do not miss the days of terrible stop and go animation.

just my 2 cents

6. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    I miss whan "stars" had actual talent. Used to be you had to sing, dance and act to be a star. Now we have plastic people who can't quite get 1 out of 3 well.

7. Laurajean

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Quote:To add to that, I really hate it when they throw in big stars, based on their "bigness" only, when they don't even fit the role. [​IMG]

8. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Yup, agree completely. I'm still stuck watching things like "Night Breed", "Troll", "Dark Crystal", and other movies a thousand times over on VHS, because I can not do the plasticy and fake look of a lot of CG movies. "Rango" was a rare exception. Really loved the amount of work they put into the designs, and how they managed to make it look a little more gritty and real. Still had a few things that bug me about modern movies (obligatory fart joke, the use of the word "AWKWAAARD" which has been driven into the ground, and I think there was one other tiny detail) though. Overly formulaic would be a good way to describe many modern films. And...not necessarily a good formula. More like the scribblings of a six year old on a chalkboard, where somehow x+y=puppies.

I like directors like Lynch who still put that old time attention to details into their movies. I like the black and white "Stray Dog", in part because the director spend so much loving detail that he even had koi in a pond that was never filmed to set the mood for the actors. Similarly, Lynch does things like put dust bunnies under radiators in "Blue Velvet" that you never see in filming, to make sure he is setting up something that feels real. Symbolism seems to mean "bludgeoning one over the head with simple concepts" these days too. Shame that.

Yeah, I guess you said it best. I miss creativity. Also, effort.

9. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    I miss the drive inn movies where you watch the movie in your car.....it was always fun.

10. Laurajean

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Quote:When I was a kid there were still some drive in theaters, but I never managed to get to one, and then they all went extinct. A few years ago I was down on Cape Cod, where they still have a big drive in in Wellfleet. I went one year, and was just thrilled. Hot summer night, my ex and I were in his convertible with the top down, others had lawn chairs by their cars, it was a ton of fun. They even had a double feature with an intermission which I don't often see in even regular theaters anymore. Such a shame that they're nearly extinct. A true piece of Americana that the next generation most likely won't ever experience.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by