Who else speaks French?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by gaited horse, Oct 16, 2011.

1. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    I'm teaching myself French. I didn't think it would be so hard.

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I would love to speak and read French, but my poor brain doesn't make learning things all that easy. I must say I love Paris, and would move there if I could.

3. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

I know very little french.. But in school was taught it as a second language.
    KIds are learning french won't be long before they know more than me [​IMG]

I lost intrest when they started teaching us verbs and stuff... ewww

4. Royd

Royd Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Middleburg, Fl.
    I've been studying it, off and on, since 1997. I have found that learning the written language is a great benefit to understanding the spoken language, due to the many silient letters, at the end of words. Especially, in the verb conjugations.

Also, being able to hear the spoken language, by a quality teacher, helps immensely. Lots of repitition. You are trying to learn the language, not pass the class.

There are many quality videos on Youtube: Frenchspanish online.com & Fionacurnow's Channel are excellent for getting started. Each lesson is about 6-10 minutes long, and you can go back as many times as you want.

Another great source of learning are movies on DVD...Just do the language and subtitle setup, and sit there with the pause button and a good dictionary and a verb book. I've found that running the movie with the language in English and the subtitles in French, the first time, really helps the learning curve. Do this a couple of times, and then, switch both to French.

I'm sure that Rosetta Stone does what it claims, but paying $400 for something which you must then register, so that it can't be sold and used by someone else, sits wrong with me.

5. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    Quote:ohh it is. I got out of french in gr 8, for resource.

Jensa comp pra (sp?)

[​IMG]

6. Chickenfur

Chickenfur Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    On Earth :)
    I'd love to learn French! I have a Nintendo DS Learning French Game, and a high-school French book that was my great-grandfather's.

7. DuckLover2399

DuckLover2399 Avian American

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Je parle très peu de

8. ChicksterJo

ChicksterJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Grounded on Earth
    Je parle un peu mais j'ai oblie presque tout que j'avais appris. ( I used Google for a couple of these words [​IMG] )

9. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    I'm just learning the greeting right now.
    Does anyone know why French use going instead of doing?

10. Squishy

Squishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    The french do! [​IMG]

^ Instigated by the "Do you ever get the urge to reply to just the title?" thread.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by