Who ever came up with the idea of the "poop board" should be given a knighthood.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by RichnSteph, Nov 12, 2014.

1. RichnSteph

RichnSteph Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Adkins Texas
    It took me 10 minutes to clean our coop of ten chickens. 10 minutes! I have multiple friends that have chicken coops and they HATE the idea of having to clean them out since it takes "so long to get it done" and "the poop just cakes together and gets into everything". The only part I was really dreading when we decided to get chickens was the idea of scraping poop up off the floor or the wet icky mess that the shavings on the floor would become.

Thank God for the poop board.

RichnSteph

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I agree!!

...and using PDZ in the poop board is another accoladable move.

Some folks think it's kind of gross to sift out chicken poop, but not as bad as sifting kitty litter.

3. nab58

nab58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2013
    CT
    Agreed! We designed our coop around the poop board concept. I spend about 5 minutes cleaning daily and can't imagine how gross it must be cleaning less often or allowing it to collect / compost in the coop. Deep litter is great for the outdoor run but I cant see it working inside on a vinyl covered floor.

4. McCluckles

McCluckles Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2014
    Small-town Ontario
    My Coop
    Ok, well I'm going against the flow here, but we don't have a poop-board.
    It was in the original plan, but we decided to scrap it because (a) our table saw couldn't cut the rails properly and (b) we thought all the hay would slide off as you pulled the board out.
    Maybe we were wrong about part b.
    Anyway, Our roost design is essentially the roost bars on 2x4 stands, so when you pull the roost out to clean it, it effectively pulls all the hay out. Not really meant to work that way but hey! I'll take it!

5. Beour3rd

Beour3rd Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2013
    Im not even sure whats being talked about.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  6. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
  7. Beour3rd

Aug 20, 2013
    thats freaking brilliant.

even if you just use regular sand. chicken poop is actually not that bad as they dont have pee/poop. sand would work fine.

thanks for showing

8. RichnSteph

RichnSteph Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Adkins Texas
    Some added advice here. Don't use regular sand, I did and it was a mess. Once the sand was dry enough that I could scoop the poop it was too dry and caused a dust storm in there. Use Sweet PDZ or some form of Stall Dry material. I had to use SD since the local feed place doesn't carry PDZ and let me tell you that it is a lot nicer than sand.

RichnSteph

9. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

10. Beour3rd

Aug 20, 2013
    im a geologist i have access to clean sand which will be 100% dust free

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by