Who feeds Starter to all ages

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by suebee, Jul 18, 2010.

1. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    a 50# bag of layer goes bad before its even 1/2 empty so I'm giving all my chicks and chickens starter that comes in 25# bags. Of course I'm giving oyster shell too. Since I only have 19 chickens and chicks, the smaller bags get eaten faster before it gets overcome with bugs or moisture. A 50# bag can last me at least 6 months....forget that!! I feel its bad after 3 months. The protein is higher but all mine free range so they just eat in the morning before I let them out. So far, so good.

2. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    That's what I'm doing, too. I only have three laying bantam hens and six teenager bantams. I offer oystershell to the layers on the side.

3. suebee

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    Yep, got so tired of throwing away all that layer food. They seem to be doing fine. Wish they'd sell layer in smaller bags!

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    I feed Kalmbach 1044 Starter/ Grower to all the birds. I did that for around 4 years then this year Kalmbach decided to change the feed so it has no animal protein feed and I decided to switch to Kent feeds and I use there High Flyer 28..

Chris

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  5. suebee

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    That was nice of you to provide the link. Around here we have Tractor Supply. I buy Dumor Starter because its non-medicated. I've hatched chicks since March so I'll probably keep all on the non-med starter until December, when the last batch turn 5 months. Thinking of trying Flock Raiser after that.

6. Farmington

Farmington Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2009
    Northeast Ohio
    I had everyone on Start and Grow (Purina), but now that I have 3 age classes to feed, I have switched to Flock Raiser (Purina), and as my older birds get to laying age, I will supplement with oyster shell. They all get to forage in the run during the day, and free range a bit in the evening, except for my 3 week olds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by