Who feeds what to their ducks?

chickery-do

Songster
6 Years
Mar 25, 2013
Shellburne, NH
frow.gif
I was told by the salesperson at Tractor Supply that we could feed our 2 new Pekin Ducks chicken feed. But after reading a duck mag. they say I should feed them duck food. For all of us that got cute ducks for Easter. What would be the best or cost efficient way to go!
idunno.gif

Going Quackers

Crowing
10 Years
May 24, 2011
On, Canada
frow.gif
I was told by the salesperson at Tractor Supply that we could feed our 2 new Pekin Ducks chicken feed. But after reading a duck mag. they say I should feed them duck food. For all of us that got cute ducks for Easter. What would be the best or cost efficient way to go!
idunno.gif

welcome-byc.gif

You can use chick starter if that is all that is available, that said you'll need added niacin because ducks require more than chickens do, Here is a sticky that will be helpful with that

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

However, what can you get? duck starter, flock raisers/all flock are another option. Basically, scout out what you can obtain locally and see which is the better of the choices.

Last edited:

BickeringToast

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 14, 2012
Jersey, GA
I have 4 9 week old ducks and feed Flock Raiser. In the beginning I feed the TSC Chick starter and added Niacin. I like the Flock Raiser myself simply because no need to add the niacin AND those little pigs seem to like it more.

I had problems finding the correct Niacin. TSC did not have it and Walmart, Walgreens, Target, and a local GNC only had time release niacin-which you do not want.

BarredRockGirls

Songster
6 Years
Mar 6, 2013
Ohio
i have 3 very lovely 3.5 week old Pekin girls that are growing like weeds haha - ive always fed them Flock Raiser - i also feed it to my 15 Barred Rocks now too since getting the ducks :)
one of my ducks sprained her leg a week ago so i also add a bit of Brewers Yeast once a day to help her - but they all eat it - i wouldn't have too normally and didnt until she fell / slipped :(

chickery-do

Songster
6 Years
Mar 25, 2013
Shellburne, NH
Our tsc does not have the flock raiser or the niacin so I will have to go 45 min. away to N Conway and check Paris Farmers Union. I hope they'll be alright if I have to find it online. How long should they have it in w/ their feed?

Top Bottom