1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Who Gave Ginge her Green Feet ?????

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by pgpoultry, Oct 22, 2011.

1. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I don't have any chickens with green feet apart from Ginge. Now I can't claim to be exactly sure who were her parents, but the feathery legs suggest that one of her parents was Brahma. Apart from Brahmas (Gold, Dark and Blue Partridge) I have Naked Necks (fully feathered neck, so they are unlikely), young La Flèche and a big sulphur yellow mutt rooster. I also have an ancient Warren, but she is largely past laying eggs.

Who could have given her those feet???

GINGE

[​IMG]

Another of Ginge's feet

[​IMG]

The cross NN on the left can't have anything to do with it as he is too young.

Yellow Peril

[​IMG]

Oh and just for completeness, 6 year old Warren (permanently bald back)

[​IMG]

Is it the very 'active' yellow mutt (AGAIN)?

2. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    WOW, those are the greenest feet I've ever seen!

I have no idea where she might have gotten them, though...

She's really pretty!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Maybe the mutt rooster might have some kind of green feet gene...

3. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Hard to say.

Willow legs usually appear in chickens that have yellow legs. (Normally, in chickens we call it 'leg' color: sometimes the pads of the feet are a different color and then that will be refered too.)

Willow/green can be so green that they approach black or very light in color. You will hear both terms used 'green legged' and 'willow legged.'

4. pgpoultry

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    The foot pads seem to be the same shade as the legs. The adult birds all have bright yellow or white (pink) legs (even YP and Warrren) apart from the Naked Necks who have black legs (as do the La Flèche but they are juveniles).

I heard somewhere that green legs were an undesirable trait creeping in to some breeds that otherwise looked to be fairly pure. In her case she is a pure mutt, so it's not going to influence her future.We are keeping her purely for egg laying and backyard variety.

5. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    There are breeds where we like willow legs.

The cross between yellow and black can give you willow.

6. pgpoultry

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Then that suggests that one of the parents should have had black legs.....but the only ones in the frame should be NN's.

I have just remembered these guys....could they have anything to do with it? (I am even forgetting what chickens I have).

[​IMG]

NN X Blue Partridge Brahma.

[​IMG]

They have green eyes........

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I'm no leg color expert but I'm guessing whatever blue/slate/black legged bird you have X yellow legged bird gave the green legs.

(so, Brahma x NN/Brahma) - The crosses there appear to have slate legs; that and yellow may have made your greenie.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by