Who Goes and Who Stays? Help me decide...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DDRanch, Aug 3, 2008.

1. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    I am planning on re-homing 3 of my wyandottes tomorrow. They will be going to a friend who has a small flock, a rooster, and as much love for chickens as folks on this site. They will have a great new home. She also has set aside 1/2 of her barn to quarantine and introduce slowly to her flock. My friend says 3 is a good number to bring her.

I am having trouble with my 7 wyandottes (age 1 year) bullying my BO and Delawares, the Silver being the worst. I have identified 2 of the silvers that will be re-homed and need an opinion on the 3rd hen. I also think I am at max with the number of hens to my space, so this will give everyone more room. I have 18 hens total, they free range 4-8 hours a day when I am home.

I have 4 silvers and 3 golds. 2 silvers are going. Should the 3rd hen be a silver, leaving one with me, or should it be a gold, leaving me with 2 silvers and 2 golds. Does it make a difference?

Thank you for your experience and your advice.
    Anne

2. tfpets

tfpets Mmm, tastes like chicken

I like keeping two of each myself, not too little, not too many!

3. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    you should make it 2 silvers and 2 golds that stay with you.

4. DDRanch

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    Ok, thank you. I will keep 2 silvers and 2 golds.

Anne

5. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Yeah I like 2 of each color too. Then at night I go rearrange them on the roosts so they are color coordinated and within the week they are always hanging out with their color twin. [​IMG] Works really well!! Try It

6. newchickmom

newchickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2007
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I would get rid of the silvers. I have BOs, australorps and a couple of silvers I just got rid of. The silvers are just to agressive for the other 2 gentler breeds.

7. DDRanch

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    Update: Tuesday afternoon

My 3 re-homed wyandottes are doing great. I dropped them off yesterday afternoon. I cried when I left them, and hoped that this relocation would work out for everyone.

For the first time in weeks, my little BO who has been afraid to leave the coop, is out and about, scratching and running around during free range. I am so gratified to see this and hope it is the start of many more hassel free days for her. The bullied Delaware laid her egg in the nesting box today instead of on the floor of the coop or the pen. Another victory?

Keep your fingers crossed for my sweet little flock to return. I am.

Anne

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Here is my two cents. I would get rid of the more agressive one's and keep the more docile ones reguardless of the breeds. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by