Who got the turkey carcass to make stock??

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by ScoobyRoo, Nov 27, 2009.

1. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    I DID!! My wonderful Auntie and Uncle who has Thanksgiving every year offered me the carcass this year. They heard that I have been making a lot of stock. Yipee. Now I need to let my veggie scrap bag build up for the stock (depleted it last week). I will not just cut up a carrot or celery, etc. for it. When making other dishes I wash the veggies real good and put the peelings in a bag then in the freezer. When I got enough scraps together then it is time to make stock.

2. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    We carved up 2 turkeys at a club I go to on Wednesday night. After I was done I asked what they do with the carcass. "oh throw them out"

Snagged... [​IMG] There was a ton of meat on them too. I've got 6 quarts of stock and already turned 6 into a pot of turkey vegie soup. Plus a cookie sheet full of meat and bones I still gotta pick through.

I'm wondering if any of the stores are having deep discounts on turkeys that are left over.

3. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Quote:You beat me! Lucky you!! I already have 5 turkeys in our freezer that we processed so I don't need to go to the store. Since we ate all of yesterday's Thanksgiving turkey I'm going to roast one here this weekend.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2009
  4. I did, also all the bones. took them home. boiled untill all the meat fell off, added a cup of rice, now have dog food for a couple days.Also got a qt of regular stock to go in the freezer. [​IMG] marrie

5. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I will be making stock today.

[​IMG]

6. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    MAking stock when i get home from work .....

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I sent yesterdays turkey home with my sister in law. I am cooking another for us Sunday. :-D

8. mamagardener

mamagardener Chillin' With My Peeps

my sister made dinner yesterday, so I didn't get the carcass. I did however buy my own turkey and I am going to cook it up on Sunday. We just love turkey in this house.

9. The Poultry Peanut

The Poultry Peanut lives under rock

We had ham...

10. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

I made stock for the 1st time this year...its part of my new 'thrifty mode'.

I can wait to make soup! lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by