Who had to BUY eggs this week? mad mad mad....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by firsthouse_mp, Nov 24, 2010.

1. firsthouse_mp

firsthouse_mp Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2009
    NorthernCal
    I haven't had to buy eggs for almost two years but today I could not budge enough eggs out of my girls. I had a bunch of baking to do and my son really wanted a cheese omelette this morning. I used the meager supply of eggs I had and I still needed to bring two loaves of pumpkin bread to my sister-in-law's tomorrow. AARGH! [​IMG] To the grocery store I went.....

Granted I only have 6 hens, but usually they produce enough for my family of four. Can't believe I had to buy some! Anyone else have to buy eggs for their holiday cooking/baking?

C'mon sweet hens, where's my eggs? [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    [​IMG] your chickens are so beautiful!!! cheering for you on this side!!! [​IMG]

3. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

19 eggs went in my Thanksgiving menu and i had to buy em all... chicks are only 8 weeks but i am really looking forward to next years baking!

4. tammyd57

tammyd57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Buy eggs? I can't remember the last time I bought eggs................Maybe that time my dog got in the chicken yard and wreaked havoc? But that was 20 years ago, surely I've bought eggs since then? Hmmm, maybe not.

5. bigoakhunter

bigoakhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:I have not bought eggs for a couple of years...increased flock size helps. [​IMG]

My egg sales almost drove me to go to the store as my normal customers all wanted an extra dozen or two for the Holidays.

6. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    I just bought eggs too, but I'm not mad [​IMG] It's the time of year (if heading into winter) when their bodies need a rest and when molting often uses all their spare energy. I'm so glad they get a break from the labor of churning out eggs!
    JJ

7. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I had to buy eggs as well to make the deviled eggs. I only have three of my seven laying and since they are pullets they are not laying every day. Just glad I am getting some eggs! Will just have to get some more layers so next year I won't have to buy eggs! [​IMG]

8. Bridget399

Bridget399 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    South Western PA
    Oh, man, I feel for you! I hate that crap from the store!! [​IMG]

9. gettinaclue

gettinaclue Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Virginia
    My brother and his family are here for the holidays and I my SIL went out and bought a dozen. She at least got free range eggs lol. We are really going thru them! We went thru a dozen yesterday morning just having bacon,eggs, and toast!

10. mom2to

mom2to Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2010
    harrison
    I had to buy eggs. I am making deviled eggs besides all the holiday baking. I love my chickens! Happy Thanksgiving!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by