Who has a candling permit??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by heymikey, Jan 5, 2010.

1. heymikey

heymikey Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2009
    Who here actually has a USDA candling permit to sell eggs? I have an appointment this month to take the test. This will allow me to sell at the local Farmers Market. I am going over the study materials now.

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Do you need one to sell eggs, or do you need it to sell them a "grade A."

3. heymikey

Nov 14, 2009
    Quote:As I understand it, You can sell as "farm fresh"from your home in most states without a permit. In order to sell "Graded" eggs at a Farmers Market etc.. you must have a candling permit. Regulations will vary state to state but using the USDA graded sticker will not...you must have a permit for that.

4. kimboolah

kimboolah Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you need a permit to sell eggs at the market if you don't have any roosters??????/

5. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Quote:Candling eggs to sell for eating isn't to check for fertility. It is to check for meat spots or other quality issues.

6. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    What state and city are you in?

Here it does not matter people at farmers markey care more if the are fresh than having them graded. I do not know of anyone that bothers with that for their own chickens and to sell eggs.

7. heymikey

Nov 14, 2009
    Quote:I'm in Georgia. It's actually illegal to sell eggs at the farmers markets without a permit. I would have thought it's illegal in TN too. Are you sure it isn't? BTW I am referring to eggs for eating not hatching eggs.

8. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    Nope it is not illegal. all we have to do is mark caton with an address.

9. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:Here you have to sell something like 4,000 dozen eggs to have to get a permit, some ungodly high amount that I'm no where near making!! LOL

For the rest of us you just have to mark your name/addy on the carton, and I think you have to put "non-graded" on there for selling them, not that anyone really checks or cares!!

I currently only give them to close friends/family and a few neighbors as peace keeping gifts. I write my name on the carton like "Tala's eggs" because I reuse store cartons and I just want to be able to tell mine from storebought without checking inside. Everyone I give them to knows where I live and I don't think the feds can do anything about GIFT eggs anyway.
    If we sold them at farmer's market I would be sure to comply with the labling, just to "be safe" [​IMG]

10. feedstorechick

feedstorechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    This sounds interesting! Does anyone have a link to the USDA page regarding a candling permit?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by