Who has a candling permit??

heymikey

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 14, 2009
Who here actually has a USDA candling permit to sell eggs? I have an appointment this month to take the test. This will allow me to sell at the local Farmers Market. I am going over the study materials now.

Quote:
As I understand it, You can sell as "farm fresh"from your home in most states without a permit. In order to sell "Graded" eggs at a Farmers Market etc.. you must have a candling permit. Regulations will vary state to state but using the USDA graded sticker will not...you must have a permit for that.

What state and city are you in?

Here it does not matter people at farmers markey care more if the are fresh than having them graded. I do not know of anyone that bothers with that for their own chickens and to sell eggs.

Quote:
I'm in Georgia. It's actually illegal to sell eggs at the farmers markets without a permit. I would have thought it's illegal in TN too. Are you sure it isn't? BTW I am referring to eggs for eating not hatching eggs.

Quote:
Here you have to sell something like 4,000 dozen eggs to have to get a permit, some ungodly high amount that I'm no where near making!! LOL

For the rest of us you just have to mark your name/addy on the carton, and I think you have to put "non-graded" on there for selling them, not that anyone really checks or cares!!

I currently only give them to close friends/family and a few neighbors as peace keeping gifts. I write my name on the carton like "Tala's eggs" because I reuse store cartons and I just want to be able to tell mine from storebought without checking inside. Everyone I give them to knows where I live and I don't think the feds can do anything about GIFT eggs anyway.
If we sold them at farmer's market I would be sure to comply with the labling, just to "be safe"
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom