Who has a chicken coop and garden attached???

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Mesa, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Mesa

Mesa Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    New Mexico
    I saw it somewhere here where the coop is attached to a garden/ run on each side of the coop and the chickens are garden are rotated from year to year.... who has it? I'd like dimensions please.

2. jambunny

jambunny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Banner Wyoming
    I don't have a chicken coop next to my garden but I am trying to put a turkey pen next to it. My friend is putting her turkeys in the garden. We are thinking that if we plant things "tented up" the turkeys will not be able to trample anything but can get bugs. Last Fall we had a ton of grasshoppers so we'll see how it goes. I would also be interested in a plan like you described.

3. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    That's us. What dimensions are you looking for? The coop or the garden runs?

4. jonesgirl

jonesgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Nevada
    I had my coop "inside" my garden. I put a big fence up, then fenced in a smaller area for the coop and the run... I don't have very good pics of it though...

5. permacultureNOLA

permacultureNOLA Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2009
    New Orleans
    Sounds like permanent chicken tractor. I have not seen it here yet though, can't wait to find it.

6. Mesa

Nov 21, 2008
    New Mexico
    Yay Christine you saw my thread. I'd all the dimensions.. how big is your coop, how big is your garden etc. I bought a coop last year and well... I dont think 8 hens will be enough after all ROFL.

7. Mesa

Nov 21, 2008
    New Mexico
    I see your plans on your link... so I dont think i need the coop dimensions anymore. I would like to know how big your garden is though. How are you liking your setup thus far?

8. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    We love the setup, but I have to be honest...we have too many roos and ended up using the storage part for chickens. I have two separate flocks now instead of using it for a garden. LOL I have big plans to reclaim it for a garden someday though...

9. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    I have my run alongside my garden. As my garden matures I open the gate and let them hunt for bugs. i usually do it when I can be out there so they don't get to carried away with digging.

10. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    [​IMG]My coop is 8x8, my run is 16x16, and my garden is 38x38. I have a small gate in the fence between the run and the garden that I open in late October and close in mid May when I plant. I currently am reworking the garden fence. All of the t-posts have been replaced with 4x4s 8' on center and I have a 2x4 rail 6" above the ground, a second at 4' and a third at 6'. I have added 2x3" welded wire to the top section and have run a hot wire on the 1st and 2nd rails. The way in helps prevent predators from burrowing in and the 2nd wire inhibits deer from browsing on the pole beans that I plant on the fence.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by