1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Who Has a Tempurpedic (sp?) Bed?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by drdoolittle, Jun 26, 2011.

1. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    I was wondering how many people actually own a Tempurpedic bed. Hubby and I are planning on getting a new bed soon, and these ones seem great----from the info-mercial. Does anyone on here have one, how long have you had it, and do you think it was worth the money (I'm assuming they are astronomically expensive).

2. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    We have a generic which I love! It wasn't nearly as expensive as the true tempurpedic, but I still have a lot less back pain with it than I did with our previous bed. I will warn you though, it took us 2-3 weeks to get used to it. During those first few weeks, both DH and I had very sore backs every morning, but now that we've adjusted, it's great. Some people say they sleep hot, but we don't have that problem with ours, even though DH tends to sleep hot anyway.

ETA - we've had ours for about 2-3 years now, and it was worth the cost (but it cost a LOT less than a true tempurpedic. Not sure if I'd spend the money on a real one).

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  3. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    Must go to the store and try one! I NEVER thought a foam bed would be any good, but it was GREAT. I no longer need 8 pillows to prop up my stupid shoulder or leg. I wake up everyday with NO PAIN.

BUT I BOUGHT THE ONE FROM IKEA. Do you have an IKEA store you could try them out? The IKEA store just had more saleshelp, had the actual allergen information (I'm Latex allergic) and they delivered the next day. Plus, the IKEA store is a lot of fun with the kids. The Tempurpedic bed was over $3000, but the IKEA bed was $650. delivered (included the box, the legs and the bedding).

All the foam beds are stinky for about a week, smells like paint. But it's a worthwhile wait! [​IMG]

4. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    I've slept on them a couple of times at hotels and hated it.

We actually requested it because we had wanted to try it out, lifted the sheets and checked and both times it was a temperpedic brand.

5. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

You will love it! Our last bed had a memory foam mattress... not a true Tempurpedic, but a good one just the same. It was an old bed we bought used & was one of those craftmatic adjustable beds. WE LOVED IT, rarely used the massage or the adjustable party, just slept on it & it was REALLY comfortable. I bought it used from a family on craigslist. One of the best purchases I ever made, and you have no idea how much we hated letting that bed go when we got rid of it (too much hassle to bring with us here when we moved up here).

6. dianehodges

dianehodges Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2010
    I have had my Tempurpedic since 2008 The most comfortable mattress I have ever slept on All of my aches and pains went away as soon as I started sleeping on it I purchased it at Rooms to go and thought I had paid too much but it has been worth every penny Some times they will let you do a test drive before you make the purchase Good luck

7. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    This is sounding very good to me! I am so tired of not getting a good-night's sleep and waking up sore. I wake up several times a night because my legs, hips or back hurt and I have to change position. I'm hoping that if I get a foam bed, I won't have these problems.

8. stanglover2001

stanglover2001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    We bought ours in Feb. of this year, not an acctual Tempurpedic because those were kinda pricey, but we got the Bamboo one because we were able to get the price lowered (tempurpedic is price fixed, the price it says is the price you have to pay.. there was no bargaining). We did not buy Serta's knock off tempurpedic, we got the closest competitors (I don't know the company's name but Bamboo was written all over the bed!) We were able to get the king mattress, box springs, frame, 2 king pillows for $2000 out the door (which was a 40% discount off the ticket price because we haggled). We love it, I am able to sleep on my side now without shoulder and hip pain (pressure points and I'm only 23). I'll never buy a normal spring mattress ever again [​IMG] this one will last us 20 years and never has to be flipped, and if within 10 years if there is a noticeable indentation of where our bodies lay the bed is replaced for full price, anything past 10 years is a percentage... I think it was worth it because only bamboo and tempurpedic guarantee their beds for 20 years. I think the guy said ours is made of 100% recyable materials...

ETA- just go to a bed store that says they sale tempurpedic and they should sale the competitors beds! That way you can see and feel the beds and prices.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  9. Carols Clucks

Carols Clucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    One of my friends was so looking forward to her very expensive brand new Temperpedic mattress.

She HATES it!!! She said the last good night of sleep she has had was on her old bed. She hurts all night and morning because of the bed and has had no luck with getting the company to stand behind it. And since she paid so much, she can't afford a new mattress. A few people have suggested that after a year of using it, they get more comfortable.

10. eggbuster

eggbuster Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    We have 2 and wouldn't have anything else. People with back and hip pain will love them. Be aware when you are looking at them, they come in different levels of firmness like any other mattress. Also, demo models in the stores may be "broken in" and therefore do not give an accurate feel when you lay on them. Buy the mattress the next softness level down from the floor demo. that you like and you won't be disappointed. They try to make you sleep on one for a month before saying you don't like it but that is hooey. If its not right there is no point in getting used to not right.

They do sleep hot; hold body temperature so they are really nice in the winter. Thing to remember is not to let them get cold as you could knock yourself out flopping onto a cold stiff mattress. Found this out when we didn't have insulation installed in the walls yet. Electric blanket solved that problem until the house was finished.

If you cannot afford a full temperpedic, get 2 or more of the memory foam mattress toppers to make at least 4" of foam on top of your bed and you will still be a much happier camper for a much smaller price. We did this for my mother when she had back surgery and wouldn't buy a new mattress. She was very happy with even that change.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by