1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

who has a tractor coop?!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Newmotherhen89, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Newmotherhen89

Newmotherhen89 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2015
    Hey Friends :)

I'm thinking about modifying my little backyard chicken coop into a tractor coop and was looking for feedback/advice. :)

1. How often do you move it per month?

2. what are the benefits (besides not killing your grass) that comes from moving your coop?

3. is it worth the trouble? haha not gonna lie, I can be a bit lazy, although i can justify doing this for a good arm workout, but at some point, do you ever just decide "i'm done moving this thing around!"?? and just pick a permanent spot that you're OK with the grass dying there?

any feed back is very much so appreciated!

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. pendletontn

pendletontn New Egg

Jun 10, 2016
    Decherd TN
    Here is one I built for some silkes. [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. pendletontn

pendletontn New Egg

Jun 10, 2016
    Decherd TN
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. nharbison0722

nharbison0722 Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2016
    Love the one I got from our feed supply store- I'm not much of a carpenter so I figured I would leave that to them and still try my hand at building the chicken run that I'll attach wherever I move the tractor![​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. nharbison0722

May 26, 2016
    I like the fact that I basically fertilize anywhere im putting the tractor. I plan to move mine once a month or every other month. I would say it's worth the trouble if your wanting to fertilize different areas of your property and not wanting one area to be permanently dug scratched up by the chickens. I am new to this, so I'm just saying what I've learned through this site. Best of luck!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  6. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I have Many tractors, small and big. I try to move the ones on my grass every other day so they do not hurt the grass. I put them close/under the fruit tree's them move them in a few days to another tree etc. Some I keep going in a straight line, then back. Some I put in the garden when needed to keep the grass and bug down. Some are out in the field so the chickens can eat and scratch and not get eaten from predators. Other than the Garden----if the predators would leave them alone I would allow them to free--range. All my tractors are being used, some for over 20 years so NO I do not seen them setting idle.

This is my biggest one and the only one I have to use the farm tractor to move----but it takes less than 5 minutes for one person to move after the chickens are in the coop. I can move it up 20ft or move it across the farm. Its 10ftx21ftx6ft tall. NO you do not have to remove the fencing---each time---I designed it where it clears the dirt 1 ft and all moves together. With a helper--once I back the tractor up to it----we could probably move it in 1 minute and nothing drags as it is being moved---could pull it down the hyway

[​IMG]

This one I use in the garden a lot.

[​IMG]

This is my oldest---abut 20 years and probably has been used every day for 20 years

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  7. Newmotherhen89

Jun 13, 2015
    Thank you for all the information! I really like the medium size one you built! and predators can be so tough! thank you for the great tips and ideas!

8. Newmotherhen89

Jun 13, 2015
    nHarbison0722, your coop is also so cute and a good size for a medium size yard! do you ever have issues with raccoons?

9. nharbison0722

May 26, 2016
    You're very welcome! I'm new to this myself, so I don't know if I was of much help to you! I love this new and exciting world of chickens and definitely have the chicken fever!
    Best of luck to you!!!
    N

1 person likes this.
  10. Newmotherhen89

Jun 13, 2015
    I definitely have the chicken fever too! this site has helped me learn so much and i'm always trying to improve my coop set up. its pretty much my new hobby/obsession, I love my little hen ladies. :) and any information and pictures help! no discrimination here! thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by