1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Who has an SOP?

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by gojira, May 24, 2018.

1. gojira

gojira Songster

Jul 30, 2014
    Northeast Georgia
    This is the best title I could come up with. How many people have a copy of the SOP and are not members of the APA? The SOP has quite a few incorrect statements in it, mostly from over 100 years ago, but I am told one has to be a member of the APA to suggest correcting or removing these statements. The APA sells the SOP to nonmembers, so that does not make much sense. It is interesting that an organization knowingly puts out literature that is incorrect, and makes it difficult for anyone to correct it. The SOP isn't all that relevant, since judges and exhibitors ignore the standards anyway. One judge was unaware of a disqualification, and he has had that breed. He had to ask what page it was on. Read the SOP, go to a show, and see how many birds win that should be Dq'ed. Who would be interested in an organization that was interested in poultry, and would educate its members, as well as the public to improve poultry?

2. Brahma Chicken5000

Brahma Chicken5000 Araucana Addict Premium Member

Sep 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    I have the most recent edition of the American Standard of Perfection and I am very disappointed that there aren’t illustrations of every breed and variety in the book. I also noticed quite a few mistakes in the writing that need correcting.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    ARpullet likes this.
  3. gojira

gojira Songster

Jul 30, 2014
    Northeast Georgia
    Are you a member of the APA? I am not, and don't plan to be for many reasons.

4. Brahma Chicken5000

Sep 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Nope. I just wanted the Standard of Perfection because I hope to breed Araucanas one day. I also got the Standard of Perfection because I thought it would have pictures of every breed and variety (which they don’t by the way :(). They don’t have any pictures of Seramas.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    Trish1974 likes this.
  5. gojira

gojira Songster

Jul 30, 2014
    Northeast Georgia
    Do you plan to show, or just breed?

Brahma Chicken5000 likes this.
  6. Brahma Chicken5000

Sep 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    I may dabble in showing after I have them for a few years.

7. gojira

gojira Songster

Jul 30, 2014
    Northeast Georgia
    The SOP only deals with showing. You don't need an SOP to breed. Your goals may be different.

8. Brahma Chicken5000

Sep 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    I know. I wanted one anyways.

9. gojira

gojira Songster

Jul 30, 2014
    Northeast Georgia
    I was only saying that because many people are misled into thinking it has breeding application outside of exhibition.

10. Sneebsey

Sneebsey Songster

Apr 7, 2017
    Shropshire, UK
    To breed birds that are true to type, you need to follow the standard, however. Without breed standards, there couldn't be breeds; the whole Easter Egger/Araucana/Ameraucana debacle is an example of this, along with hookless birds being called Silkies; I have several Silkie chicks purchased as "pure breed" hatching eggs in my brooder; only one of them has five toes. I purchased them to get the dun gene into my mixed flock, so I'm not concerned, but had I been hoping to breed or show them, then I would have a lot of work to get them up to snuff.

Breeding should always be focused first and foremost on health and vigour, production qualities, etc, but to preserve old breeds and create new ones one must define what the bird should look like, and breed toward that guide.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: