1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Who has Astralorps?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by pooponshoe, Feb 13, 2008.

1. pooponshoe

pooponshoe Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2007
    Saint Augustine, FL
    I have 6 around 10 weeks old. Maybe 3 roosters. Anything I need to know, are they pretty good chickens to raise??

2. Chickee's Mom

Chickee's Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2007
    Lacombe AB
    Hello, I have six also, five hens and a rooster. I bought them when the hens were just starting to lay. They are some of the nicest chickens I own. My Grandsons, ages four and six come and carry the rooster around, he is so tame. The hens are great layers of light brown eggs and also let the kids pick them up.
    And they are beautiful, especially in the sunshine.....

3. rnjane

rnjane New Egg

Dec 16, 2007
    I have 3 australops, love them. They are all hens. They are gentle, big birds and give large eggs. I think you will enjoy them.

4. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Very nice chickens. Good egg layers. I would say Medium to Large size. I have 2 of them which are about 3.5 years old and still laying.

5. Ang

Ang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
    I love mine! And they are decent setters, too.

6. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    We LUV our Aussie Olympia. Sweetest girl, prettiest eyes, awesome layer.[​IMG]
    Olivia

7. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    So does anyone know how to sex them fairly accurately as chicks, or is it a case of wait till they crow or lay??? We have 5 we just hatched out. Thanks.

8. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I have four Australorp hens that we got as chicks. I actually got five hens but one turned out to be a Roo. It was very obvious with mine that we had a boy by the time he was five weeks old. His comb was much larger and he was larger than the girls.

Our girls are wonderful. They let my children pick them up and pet them any day. I love the beautiful green sheen on their feathers.

Our Roo was also very sweet until he turned about five months old - he became very aggressive to my children. I had to rehome him with a lady that has no children. He never messed with me but our kids weren't safe around him. Our children were never mean or hurtful in anyway to him so I don't know what turned him although when I did an 'unoffical' poll here on BYC I found that most Australorp Roos ended up being mean.

He was the best protector of my flock though. If I didn't have children I would definately have kept him as he did a great job as a Rooster taking care of "his girls".

9. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Jeaucamom, can you post a good pic of the babies so we can see them? I may be able to tell you what they are.

10. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    I had a roo! new at 5wks real easy to tell

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by